Sunday, December 31, 2023

Twilight Descends Again Upon Another Year

 It's long been my tradition to mark New Year's Eve with sunset photos taken over the last few months around the National Capital Area. This first shot was taken from Portage Bridge at the end of July, when I was down for my usual twice a month series looking downstream. It was late in the day, and looking eastward, the sunset was illuminating the Parliament Buildings and the Supreme Court.


I took two shots of it as I departed the area.


One evening in August, the late day sky caught my attention.


On another August evening, I was at Lansdowne Park. The Aberdeen Pavilion is ideal for taking pictures around sunset.


In September, a moody sky in the evening, but the setting sun was illuminating the clouds.


I took this shot in November, along the same road.


These are from a few days back. I was returning across the Alexandra Bridge from the Museum of History, and the sun was setting over the Ottawa River, but still casting some light on landmarks like Parliament Hill. I was in a race against time.


Another landmark, on the other side of the bridge. Kiweki Point, otherwise known as Nepean Point, has been having some work done on the top in the last couple of years, reconfiguring the parkland up there. The project should be done next year.


I reached Major's Hill Park. Here I looked back across the cold river to the Museum in Gatineau.


And towards the last light of the dying day, with Parliament Hill looming above.


The last light of day in this shot, taken from the Mackenzie King Bridge over the Rideau Canal, with the National Arts Centre and Chateau Laurier sharing the space with Parliament Hill. Happy New Year to you.

42 comments:

  1. I love this annual tour de force!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first photo is my favorite. Gott nytt år.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunset signifies the end of the year too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shots.
    Happy New Year, William! 🥂🍾

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely sunset and beautiful views! Take care, happy New Year's Eve. I wish you all the best in 2024, a very Happy and Healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice overview of your twilight shots of 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Son muy buenas las luces que has captado, en ese momento especial del día.
    Feliz Año Nuevo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...William, I wish you a healthy and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you. I could never organize my brain to keep track of photos taken over a year to post on one day at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In past years, I would gradually get them into the post shortly after I took them. This year, I put the whole post together a few days ago. That had the drawback of making me wonder with older pics if I'd already published them.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful photos. Best wishes for the coming new year:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What lovely sunset shots...happy new year William!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favourite is that last one looking over the canal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful sunset photos ~ so appropriate for Year's End ~ Happy New Year to you ~ ^_^

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous pictures, William.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely photos!! Have a happy and blessed new year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. No doubt you will probably get more snow. Looks like hibernating time to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful photographs.
    Happy New Year to you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are all lovely images, William. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete