Sunday, December 24, 2023

Festivity

 As mentioned yesterday, the Ottawa Christmas Market is based out of Lansdowne Park for several weeks, and I was there on opening night, when the big tree in front of the Aberdeen Pavilion hadn't yet been lit up. Inside, the farmers market was set up.


I wandered into the Christmas Market- a European style affair on the north side of the building.


Then I returned to where I'd been as the crowds below were growing, taking shots from one of the stadium staircases. Carolers were singing.


The tree was lit up, and I took this shot afterwards.


I came back another night. The Market has taken off in a big way and is busy.


The chalets have a mix of food, drink, and gifts, and I've been here several times. Each time I've stopped at a baker who specializes in warm pretzels. I recommend the pepperoni pizza pretzel.


There are lit ornaments here for photo ops, and a stage for musicians.


One of the places I've bought from is at right- Thor's Trinkets, an artist who specializes in beer mugs with a pop culture motif.


There's even an open bar here.


The chalets have shifted around to also be on the east side of the Aberdeen.


This shot includes one more of those oversized ornaments, with the skate rink in the distance.


One more shot from the Christmas Market.


And I conclude with these that I bought for myself. I've developed a habit for buying novelty socks in the last year or so. I don't really have tools, but the one on left made me laugh. And the one on the right is, well, as close as I'll ever have to Christmas clothing, and entirely appropriate for me.

54 comments:

  1. That is a great Christmas market and those are fun socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great socks, and the whole place does have an European feel to it. God Jul as we say in Sweden, where we celebrate Christmas today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your new header. That's one massive snow sculpture. I like all the lights and festivity in your photos. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing all the people out enjoying the market. I'd try one of those pretzels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, your new socks are stylish... I wear Christmas socks too :-)))
    And Christmas markets are simply delicious... they have a great tradition here. We like everyone here.
    Thank you for your beautiful photos.
    I wish you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas. A Hug from Viola

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Christmas market looks fun! Love the socks. Great photos. Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well wishes for your holiday season, and may happy travels be had wearing your festive socks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like here indeed and those socks are GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the light bulb art of the Christmas gift box!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...William, thanks for sharing the festive light of Ottawa. Enjoy your socks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Christmas market looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A nice Christmas market, but I think it would be too crowded for me soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad that you were able to indulge your sock fetish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This building shows well at night and with Christmas lights it's better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely photos of the Christmas lights and decorations. A Merry Christmas to you, William.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great night photos of a wonderful market ~ Merry Christmas to you ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Before I forget, again, I love the snow sculpture header! That all those people are outside enjoying the shops and displays - in below freezing weather! just boggles my mind! Of course they are prepared to use the cold wintertime as part of their lives...I know there are really comfortable things to wear to keep warm and cozy. Then there are those socks...dare I say they are 5 stars on cute, but maybe not so much to keep your toes warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my feet are warm enough, but then I've got good boots in that respect.

      Delete
  18. Beautiful and festive photos. Love your socks, very in season. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos! The festive atmosphere at the Ottawa Christmas Market is so captivating. It's always a joy to see the holiday lights and decorations. The Lansdowne Park setting adds a special charm. The unlit big tree outside the Aberdeen Pavilion gives a sneak peek of the anticipation before the grand illumination. I bet the farmers' market inside added to the festive spirit. It must have been a delightful opening night! 🎄

    Visit https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/12/what-i-would-love-to-be-gifted-for-Christmas-and-new-year.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun socks!!
    Merry Christmas and I wish you peace and contentment in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year William!

    ReplyDelete
  22. All beautiful captures!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  23. As I have said before, I like seeing this place, and the photos are good. The churches in the next post are ok, but the pavillion is best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pavilion is pretty unique as architecture here goes.

      Delete
  24. Nice photos, you have a lot of different religions or churches, we have the protestants and the catholics and that's it. Except in the UK where they have the Anglican church, which is similar to the protestant churches, except the costumes and the churches. Our pastors are dressed in black with a white collar and there are also women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the churches in my Christmas post are protestant denominations, though Notre Dame and St Patrick are catholic.

      Delete
  25. That looks a great Christmas market and I do like your fun socks.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would love to go to a real Christmas market!

    ReplyDelete