Monday, July 22, 2024

Red Maple

 The Red Maple is my favourite work by A.Y. Jackson of The Group Of Seven. It dates to 1914, and depicts a scene along a river I know well in Algonquin.


Across the way, a look at some of the other works in this particular space. La Caterina is the title of this circa 1887-89 painting by James Kerr-Lawson.


Here we have Jean Biggar, by George Reid, an 1890 portrait.


Miss Audrey Boller is a portrait by Randolph Hewton, circa 1922-23.


This is Sunrise, Lac Tremblant, by Maurice Cullen, done in 1922.


And this is by George Reid, done in 1890, titled Mortgaging The Homestead.


Moving beyond, we find a large collection of field sketches. These were typical of The Group Of Seven, taking these small canvases into the field and then transferring their ideas onto a larger canvas in the studio. These particular works are by Tom Thomson, a close friend of the members of that group. Thomson was a big influence on them, and vice versa, but died in a drowning accident before they formally became a group. Otherwise it would have been The Group Of Eight.


Here we have Moonlight, a 1913-14 work by Thomson.


J.E.H. MacDonald painted Gleams On The Hills in 1921.

28 comments:

  1. When I see the Red Maple I feel that I should get my hockey stick, stand to attention and sing the national anthem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...this surely is a diverse collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful art and exhibit! Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'The Red Maple' is indeed beautiful, but I like 'Moonlight' too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Red Maple is wonderful, William.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the portrait paintings you have chosen to post. They are very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Red Maple is great ~ lovely series of artworks too ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    clm
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful and amazing artwork. My favourite is the Gleams On The Hills.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful paintings. Love the Moonlight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like those portraits. I'm guessing the people in them would've been quite well off to get the paintings comissioned.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why that one is a favorite, William. I quite agree!

    ReplyDelete