Friday, September 1, 2017

City Daily Photo Theme Day: Photographing The Photographer

The first day of each month is a theme day for members of City Daily Photo, and for September, that theme is Photographing The Photographer. Have a look at how other members are taking on the theme here.

Last December, I went over to Gatineau to take in a Christmas fair at the Canadian Museum of History, formerly the Museum of Civilization. I photographed the Christmas tree placed overlooking the Grand Hall, and held one back for this theme, as it featured another photographer and her model.


On New Year's Day, I came up to Parliament Hill, which had been the scene of a big party the night before. A CBC reporter and videographer were prepping a story. I decided that the video camera still qualified as photographing a photographer.


I took this in January during a visit to the Ottawa Convention Centre. A photographer and a model were on the ramp leading up from the ground to the second level.


This is taken in Confederation Park during Winterlude, on the first day of the event in February. Videographers were positioned at the time from several stations, though the reporters themselves were absent. I expect this was set up to do quick spots between one of the officials and various reporters in turn.


The shelters you see in the above shot are set up for the ice sculptures. Those sculptures are irresistible to the photographer. A worker was busy with light set ups on the ladder when I took this shot of another photographer capturing the moment for posterity.


This was another Winterlude shot, taken in the evening. Web cams were set up at various spots along the length of the Rideau Canal skateway at the time, and you could go to the site and have a look at each spot. I decided to photograph one of these cameras while down at Dow's Lake. It looms like a ghost out of the night.


Also at Dow's Lake, I took these shots in May during the Canadian Tulip Festival. Photographers can always be expected to be found around the colourful tulip beds here in Commissioners Park, one of the major sites for the spring festival.


And this one was on the grounds at the Museum Of History, where a photographer was in the background while I was photographing these planters of tulips.


Here are two shots from Glowfair, an annual street festival held in the downtown core in June, a mix of art, music, and entertainment. That included lit up artificial trees that were a magnet for photographers, especially if they had someone to pose for them.


And I finish with this. Fortissimo is an event held on Parliament Hill on a weekend each July for over twenty years now, a military beat retreat sunset ceremony involving several marching bands, including two from other countries. I'll be showing this event in a post in a few days, but the photographer close by among the onlookers made this shot ideal for the theme. The group of soldiers marching out are from a reserve unit out of Hamilton.

39 comments:

  1. Isn't it fun looking at how other photographers get their shots? Nice selection for theme day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos and theme
    You were at the right places, at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, it is fun to take photos of other photographers at work. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surprised to see a Christmas tree at the first of September haha.. Nice collection for the theme's day, William.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...William, I'm not ready for those cold winter scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Glowfair pics.
    Great captures for the theme day. Makes me wish I'd participated. It is so nice to be part of the CDP community.

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Kay: thanks!

    @Maywyn: I was!

    @Nancy: it is!

    @Marleen: a good surprise!

    @Francisco: thank you.

    @Tom: cold is good for you!

    @Janis: I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, fun photos. The ice sculptures are pretty. I am not looking forward to winter, what happened to summer? Great series of photos.

    Happy Friday, enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, you were jumping around through all the season ... i enjoy Christmas and spring with the blooms. happy weekend. take care ... have a blast! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice plays on the theme though I was hoping for a selfie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quite a collection of nice photos for the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had lots of opportunity to get this shot at all the events you attended.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great theme! I love photographing photographers: seeing behind the scene!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful and exciting series, William!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All photos perfect for the theme----and where is William?

    ReplyDelete
  16. This works so well for the CDP theme! So many busy clicking & posing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Eileen: winter isn't far off!

    @Beth: I was already on this theme quite awhile!

    @Cloudia: alas, no.

    @Lois: thank you!

    @Sharon: I kept looking for opportunities.

    @Jennifer: so do I.

    @Linda: thanks!

    @MB: behind the camera, of course!

    @Christine: there were plenty of chances for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great choices for the theme. I really love the 3rd picture!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful examples William. I like your series and that is one huge Christmas tree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's amazing how often we get an opportunity to take photos of the photographer William, a super selection here ✨

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have certainly been saving up for the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are fun to look at! Love that shot of the model on the ramp. This brings to mind a few photos I have of other people taking photos (people I know), and the contorted positions they are in to get that perfect shot! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Makes me think of the great variety of photographic equipment out there.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I especially like the third photo.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Tamago: I figured it would be popular.

    @Bill: it really is!

    @Grace: thanks!

    @RedPat: I actually have some shots set for the December theme that I already took last December!

    @Wendy: very contorted at times!

    @Revrunner: there's a lot.

    @Norma: me too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well done, the third photo is my favourite, great perpective.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fun grouping, but the one night shot was too difficult to make out anything but dark, black, evening.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Whew. Thank goodness this is Theme Day. I was afraid they were already putting up Christmas trees in Ottawa.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! You really plan ahead! I enjoyed all your photos of September's theme. But I'm even more impressed by your organization that allows you to find these photos to post now. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Wilf: I assumed that one would be popular.

    @Mari: I should have gotten there a half hour earlier.

    @Stuart: only the card shops here are already getting ready for Christmas!

    @William: thank you!

    @Susan: it does help to check the list well ahead of time!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These were so good to see and such fun.
    Wasn't that a great looking Christmas Tree.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  32. You have photographied many photographers. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Golly. I showed two images and felt glutinous. Nice collection, William.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The third one is my favourite. I took a series of photos of my daughter once for her sewing blog which required a few uncomfortable poses for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  35. A few nice captures here. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Good idea for great post William.
    I think I'll look around on my computer for some of the same type of photos.
    Hope you are having a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  37. @Jan: the museum has a great deal of space, and that's an ideal spot for a tree.

    @MDP: thank you!

    @Jack: most days I post eight to ten shots. Sometimes more. This was quite an easy theme, and I'm pretty much set for the October and November themes. The December theme I've already got some shots in, and will have ideas for more.

    @LDP: that model was really vamping for the camera. Just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

    @Klara: thank you!

    @Pat: I had an exceedingly busy weekend. Glad it's behind me.

    ReplyDelete