Thursday, September 28, 2017

Destinations In South America

Today I have two events from the Ottawa Welcomes The World series, both featuring South American nations. On one day, it was Ecuador's turn to host an event at Lansdowne. I came up to the Horticulture Building and photographed the flag, one of several of them hanging from the lamp posts.


Inside there were displays on travel, the country, and the culture. Of particular interest was the Galapagos Islands. There was a table set up with several books on the islands, along with tour information. I was curious about this- it is the lower jawbone of a feral pig.


The walls were mounted with large photographs of wildlife of the country.


On another occasion, it was Colombia's turn to shine.


These crafts caught my eye coming in. The day included panels on one of the indigenous customs of the country- individuals who become mediators of their people. Part of that included the hammock in the shot that follows.


I had a chance to talk at length with this woman. Pilar is part of a cacao consortium, and we spoke about the transition for farmers from one crop to another. For many years, farmers would grow the coca plant- the base for cocaine. It was an easy crop to harvest, albeit illegal, during the days of the civil war. Cacao is a harder crop, requiring more work, but it's also legal, and she said the transition might take a generation of persuasion to succeed. Among the reasons to switch: the lack of risk and the personal dignity to yourself to grow a crop that is legal. She explained the process of utilizing cacao and how much it takes to make the chocolate truffles that a shop in Bogata might sell. 


The place was well decorated with flowers. These are one such example.


When I came in, this artist was painting a colourful work at this canvas. She moved the canvas up to the stage soon thereafter and was speaking to onlookers about the artistic process.

31 comments:

  1. Interesting! For strictly selfish reasons I'd love to see more farmers transition to cacao!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...it's nice to know that Canada is a welcoming country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many interesting exhibitions and events going on in your country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are interesting details about Colombia transition from one crop to another.

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Linda: thank you!

    @Kay: given my fondness for chocolate, I agree!

    @Tom: it is indeed.

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Nancy: we have had a lot going on.

    @Janis: it was an enlightening conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, interesting exhibits. I say go for more cacao plants equals more chocolate. YUM! Happy Thursday, enjoy your day and weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have lots to learn about South America I,ve never understood why North America has so little to do with South America.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This event seems like a version of a "world's fair".

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Eileen: and chocolate is a good thing!

    @Marleen: I've enjoyed these.

    @Norma: definitely!

    @Red: this has made me want to explore the continent.

    @Maywyn: thank you!

    @Sharon: it does. I've been to a couple from the weekend and the last couple of days- Barbados and Saudi Arabia- and there are upcoming events tomorrow for India, China, and Slovakia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so good that each country gets the chance to show their own culture and specialities. Interesting series William.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the wildlife photos. What an interesting conversation too. Of course any crop having to do with chocolate would be my choice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cacao for all those chocolate addicts out there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Canada is so wisely and beautifully aware of the wider world!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope this was well visited as its so informative.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely exhibitions from both countries.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love the ladies' attire ... her scarf! & those flags are pretty!! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kudos to Canada! I don't know much about Ecuador or Colombia. I have read lots on the Galapagos Islands, though. We have a granddaughter living in Bogota with her husband and three children. They are missionaries of a sort, trying to convert Colombians to their particular brand of ultra-conservative Christianity. I really liked the woman artist and the dress she was wearing - so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Grace: I have found this series thoroughly enjoyable to attend, and look forward to more to come.

    @Lois: chocolate is one of life's great pleasures.

    @Revrunner: and there are plenty of them.

    @Cloudia: this kind of event shows that.

    @Christine: these events have been popular.

    @Lady Fi: thank you!

    @RedPat: they both were!

    @Beth: I agree.

    @Lowell: the close up of the artist may well be one of my favourites I've taken this year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's always nice to see art and artists from a different area of the world. A wonderful event to share with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are really cool! A wonderful way to experience a different part of the world, without the expense of travel, or the hassles!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful exhibits! I would have enjoyed looking at these.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very interesting, and really nice photos!
    That feral pig, had some serious tusks. Love your photos of the lady artist. She looks like a work of art herself. Looking at her canvas, it almost looks like she is painting an image of herself.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'd love to visit South America...

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Bill: these have been very educational events.

    @Mari: and an inviting one.

    @Jennifer: I've enjoyed the series. There are still some more to come. I believe Japan is the next one, barring any rescheduled ones in advance of that event.

    @Denise: both were enlightening events.

    @Pat: I think one of those two shots of the artist are going to end up in my favourite shots of the year.

    @Klara: so would I.

    ReplyDelete