Friday, March 30, 2018

The Twilight Hour In A Time Of Winter

It's Good Friday today, and I will be scarce. I'm planning on heading over to the Agriculture museum today. 

For those of you in Ontario or visiting perhaps in the coming months, the Doors Open Ontario listings are up for this year's edition. Ottawa as always has the first weekend in June.

Today I have a series of end of the day shots taken in various spots. This was the last light of day on a mid-January day. I looked west from the Bank Street Bridge over the Rideau Canal.


A few days later, this was the view of the last light of day from the bridge. We'd had something of a warm-up, so the Canal was closed to skaters on that particular day.


I took this late one afternoon in Nepean in February, when the sun was headed for the horizon over Baseline Road.


And these were also taken in February. I went up onto Parliament Hill to get sunset shots. First I noticed the glow of the last light of day on the National Gallery and Major's Hill Park.


Then I photographed north, towards the Alexandra Bridge and Gatineau.


The path led to the summer pavilion, a structure behind Centre Block that is ideal for sunsets over the Ottawa River. The river remains open down there through the winter, churned up by the flow of the Chaudiere Falls upstream. I have been up here since, and the open water has been expanding.


And I finish with this shot from the Bank Street Bridge again, looking west on a late February day. The Canal had, by that time, been closed up for the season.

34 comments:

  1. These are all glorious but I am most fond of the "last glow of light" ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a talented photographer and these images depict my favorite time of day.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twilight is one of my favorite times of day and you have captured it nicely. I guess I'm reiterating what Mildred said.

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super twilight skies but my favourite is no. 3! Love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ... Doors Open Ontario, good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, pretty series of sky photos. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend. Happy Easter to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Lowell: thank you!

    @Lady Fi: dusk does that.

    @Mildred: I see more sunsets than sunrises.

    @Janis: one is never the same as another.

    @Christine: so do I.

    @Marie: it is a great time.

    @Tom: I enjoy that event each year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful series of images William, such a special time of the day ✨

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the paleness of a winter sunset. In the arctic when there is no sun you get twilight skies for the six weeks. It's usually from 2 -3 hours. They were beautiful skies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You got some great skies in these shots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful shots with a nice variety of skies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous skies and beautiful light!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful skies and light, William!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice night photos, my favorite is nr 5.
    Happy Easter !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely 'end of the day' sky shots!

    Happy Days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some beautiful shots at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos of the end of the day. Excellent shots, William!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Eileen: thanks!

    @RedPat: thank you.

    @Grace: it is a fine time of day.

    @Red: I can't imagine that.

    @Sharon: I did.

    @Jan: thanks!

    @Lois: definitely.

    @Nancy: indeed.

    @Cloudia: I agree.

    @Orvokki: thank you.

    @Carol: I love sunsets.

    @Maria: thank you.

    @Fun60: I got great skies.

    @Bill: thank you!

    @Francisco: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos. Love the third and second from the last. L'Hevre Bleu

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is what I miss, living in the middle of a wetland: sunsets and skies. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really nice photos William! LOVE the moody sky in the last pic.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh William, these are all amazing.
    Love the colours within ...

    A great selection of photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Parsnip: thank you!

    @Jennifer: one does miss that surrounded by trees.\

    @Pat: so do I.

    @Mari: thanks!

    @Jeanie: definitely!

    @Norma: thank you!

    @Jan: thanks!

    ReplyDelete