Sunday, April 22, 2018

Dairy Barn

Here we have another view of the Dairy Barn, before heading indoors to see the herd. I am adding this to Tom's Barn Collective. Looking at the map of the property given to me upon entry, I realized after the fact that I had missed a couple of exhibition spaces in this building, in areas away from the cows. Oh well, there's always next time.


The herd consists of several different breeds. When they're all in here, they're in tie stalls. When the weather's warm enough, they spend their time out in pastures, only coming in for milking in the afternoons. The calves get first dibs on the milk from their mothers, and the rest of the milk is sold as part of the national supply. Calves are off in another section I'll show you tomorrow. Female calves end up joining the herd, while male calves will be sold to other farms after a certain age. On the odd winter day when it's mild enough, they get time outside while their stalls are cleaned and fresh straw is put down for them. And there's a technology involving a low electrical current that prompts them to step back to relieve themselves away from the straw. Workers come through replenishing their hay as needed, and water pipes feed into bowls between the stalls. There is even the sound of birds chattering away, and one sees them amid the pipes- though how they get inside the barn is another matter.


Panels on the walls and over the stalls detail milking, cow biology, breed types in this herd, how much they eat, and their summer pastures. One also makes note of the fact that a previous barn at this site went up in a fire. Each of the cows have names, marked above their stalls with their breed type.


A section of stalls nearby is set aside as a maternity ward. This is a Canadienne breed cow named Adele. She was lying quietly the first time I came by, and then having some hay when I came by afterwards. Her time for giving birth was coming up, and so she was placed down here and checked in on regularly by farm staffers. 

40 comments:

  1. That must have been a very interesting visit, and I can well imagine that children must really love going there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dairy cows always seem so wholesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to milk cows back in the day before milking machines. Obviously, I was very young but I remember how hard it was and how it pained my wrists. I also remember shooting milk from the teats into the mouths of waiting cats. Grandma had 15-20 cats roaming about the place. And once in a while I'd do it wrong and mama cow would kick over my milk pail in frustration which I found very frustrating. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was quite an education. Thanks William, great photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love ice cream as much as the next person. Cheese, yogurt, etc. and especially kefir. :)

    But seeing these cows penned up makes me realize how they should be wandering free in a field. I suppose it's easier this way, but...it doesn't feel right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always called them "the black-and-whites" and they are my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them! We passed a cow and calf, newly born, but didn't stop! Too much goop hanging out!
    Our deer are ruminants, too.
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very interesting visit. Thanks for sharing.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Rosemary: kids were fascinated.

    @Joe: they do.

    @Lowell: cats would know where the milk is.

    @Denise: thank you.

    @Francisco: thanks.

    @Sandi: if they're not out in pastures yet, they should be soon. Odds are they're getting time outdoors each day. I was more used to seeing the herd in pastures- I lived west of the farm for awhile and often came through and would see them.

    @Jeanie: and of course they're not all black and white.

    @Jennifer: it's a messy business, getting into the world.

    @Catarina: you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The science of dairy farming is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It bothers me to see them tied like that. It would be nicer if they could at least wander around in the barn a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Going through this area and what you see could qualify you for a good dairy farmer! Very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems so counterintuitive that cows are vegetarians. Those are some interesting innards. I love the word ruminate.

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure the cow in the third last shot is giving you the side eye William 😉 The alpacas last post are odd looking but strangely appealing also!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the fact that they all have names lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to read they get time outside. They are adorable:-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The animals are taken care of very well. That's so good to notice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Marie: it is.

    @RedPat: well, they're outdoors a good part of the year, only coming in for milking time. I wonder if they're off tie at night in here.

    @Red: there is a lot to discover.

    @Janis: ruminate's a good word.

    @Grace: that's what I thought!

    @Jenn: and good names, too.

    @Tamago: they are indeed.

    @Marleen: my sense of it is that they're well looked after.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very interesting. It's nice that you reported to us that the cows are well cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A very interesting post ... but like many others who have commented, I too was pleased to read that the cows are well cared for.

    Enjoy the remainder of the weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Quite the operation. The animals are well cared for and that is fantastic. Thanks for sharing, William.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful and clean place for the dairy cows ~ great shots!

    Happy Week ahead to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Interesting post again, William, I recognize a lot of the farm I visit a few times each year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A lot more technology involved than I was aware of . Most interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. ...now that's quite a barn! Looks like a nice herd of Holsteins there. Thanks William for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I see many happy cows here in Marin!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I will enjoy this place. So much to learn about milking cows!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cows in a field near our house are on their own when it's time to give birth though the calves are tagged soon afterwards so they are being watched.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an interesting place to visit!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's a beautiful modern dairy barn. Love it! And loved seeing the cows too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. i tend to only do milk in ice cream ... lately i have been doing almond milk. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  32. Interesting exhibit! I've been trying to break the habit of mooing at cows! Now when I drive past them, I just say "Hello, cows. How are you today?"

    ReplyDelete
  33. they seem to be taken good care of . I like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very interesting. I'm happy to hear that cows feel comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dairy farms have changed so much over the years....

    ReplyDelete
  36. @Anonymous: thank you.

    @Jan: I was as well.

    @Bill: you're welcome.

    @Carol: thanks!

    @Jan: it's quite an operation.

    @Sallie: indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  37. @Tom: thank you!

    @Mari: indeed.

    @Cloudia: the last cows I've seen were these ones.

    @Nancy: that there is.

    @Kay: that doesn't surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  38. @Lea: that it is.

    @ACW: thank you.

    @Beth: I prefer dairy.

    @Linda: I'll talk to animals.

    @Nature: that's true.

    @Klara: it seems that way to me.

    @Norma: they have.

    ReplyDelete