Wednesday, April 18, 2018

The Kitchens

A reminder to members of City Daily Photo: the theme for May 1st is Laugh.

I ascended to the second floor of the Learning Centre during my visit, and took a photograph towards the Meadowview Barn, which I'll show you in tomorrow's post.


This floor has much of its space taken up with two large kitchens for demonstrations. On this day, one of those kitchens was used by a staffer to talk about eggs. Other displays in this room I'll be holding over until next Easter, as they are appropriate for that.


The other large kitchen space had a baking demonstration going on. There were ovens baking what was being produced over at the demonstration area- chocolate and lemon cakes. The smell of fresh baking filled this area.


A view out the windows looked towards the Dairy Barn. If you note the small building at the lower right, that's the Soil Lab, which I'll also feature tomorrow.


This view gives you a sense of the size of this space. Two fully stocked kitchens are over on the opposite wall, with the demonstration happening to my left. Cake was being sliced up by the woman at the table.


Here we have the demonstration area itself. The lead baker was talking as she worked. The mirror above the table gave the audience a chance to see her work from a different angle.


Fresh cake was just being sliced. It tasted good. I would have saved some for you, really I would... but, well... long story short, I can't be trusted around chocolate anything.


Display panels in the halls examined the importance of bees.

34 comments:

  1. :))

    Fresh cake on top of it all... how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing like the smell of freshly-baked goodies. My grandmother had an old wood stove but she could make miracles in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing a kitchen is of less interst to me but I am volunteer to taste everything which is prepared in the kitchens !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't blame you for not sharing the chocolate cake! That's a beautiful display on bees. I always laugh seeing the mirrors above the cooking demo's - I am so messy/clumsy, I'd hate to have a mirror showing what I was cooking! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...few things are more important than bees!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is making me hungry, especially for eggs for breakfast.

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are a lot of demonstrations going on, I did n't expect that, but it's a great way to show and learn things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Catarina: who could pass up cake?

    @Lowell: the smell of fresh baking is a heavenly one.

    @Gattina: me too.

    @Mildred: it was an interesting perspective. I imagine it's common for cooking demonstrations, but this is the first time I've seen one of those.

    @Francisco: thank you!

    @Tom: that is true.

    @Janis: I can see that happening.

    @Jan: it certainly is.

    @Marie: I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It must have been nice to attend that baking demonstration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cake demo must be very popular! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post, thank you William. There is something about chocolate isn’t there? My friend and I were talking about Toblerone the other day and I have been craving it ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are giving us all the details. Interesting all the more because of my farm background.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chocolate cake??? And you didn't save any for us? I think I'll go find a chocolate chip cookie to take it's place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Marleen: that was a first for me.

    @RedPat: the chairs were packed, and there was a line up for cake!

    @Denise: I'm indifferent to something like chips, but chocolate I crave!

    @Red: it's a pleasure to do so.

    @Sharon: every last bit was yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, W. what an interesting series this is.
    MB
    Oh BTW: concerning Tulips--the Tulip festival here is the whole month of April and the valley is very late with their displays---Mother Nature decided to keep it very wet and cold---weird huh
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like a great place, somewhere I'd definitely take my son!

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is nothing like the aroma of fresh baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Whisk: I figured you'd go for this.

    @MB: our tulips are probably going to be a bit late, but hopefully not too much. I've got posts set aside starting on the tenth of May, I believe.

    @Jenn: it's well worth visiting.

    @Revrunner: hey! Good to see you!

    @Mari: that's true.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks like these facilities are very actively used. That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous !
    I love Bees and am very allergic.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another neat place and photos!

    Namaste,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love to watch cooking demo plus getting to taste to!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm sure I can smell the chocolate and lemon cakes baking ...
    Lovely post, I enjoyed your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cooking and baking demos? Now you're really talking my language. I'd love this!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm sure the cake was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Kay: it is quite a museum to visit.

    @Parsnip: thank you.

    @Beth: it was.

    @Carol: thanks!

    @Nancy: me too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Norma: I miss living in the countryside.

    @Jan: thank you.

    @Jeanie: thanks!

    @Jennifer: it was.

    @Klara: oh yes!

    ReplyDelete