In the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century, an influx of immigrants from the Ukraine came into Canada. Many of them settled in the West, holding onto traditions while adapting to life in the New World. At Smoky Lake, Alberta, a church was erected by 1915. St. Onuphrius is a consecrated Ukrainian Catholic Church. Given to the museum in 1996, the church was installed here and still occupies pride of place inside the permanent galleries. It is a wonder to behold, and in fact still holds religious services on occasion.
Stepping out of the sanctuary, one can walk right around the church and look in back windows or doorways, in on what was the sacristy.
Other windows give one a view into that portion of the chancel beyond the rood screen. This church is quite a treasure.