Friday, February 28, 2020

A Stroll On The Canal

During the course of Winterlude, I generally get out on the ice several times, walking it; I've never learned how to skate. Once each year, I like to walk a given stretch of the Canal and photograph as I go along, which I did this year early one morning on the last weekend of the festival. I started down at Lansdowne Park, where this view takes in the stadium in the background at left, the Aberdeen Pavilion at centre, and the Horticulture Building at right.


I then headed for the ice nearby. There were a few skaters on the ice during my walk, but it was early enough in the morning that most skaters wouldn't be awake yet.


I turned and continued with my walk, heading for the downtown. Last year when I made this walk, I showed you the Flora Bridge, still under construction at the time. It's been completed since then. The bridge is a pedestrian bridge linking the Glebe neighbourhood at left with Old Ottawa East on the right. It is named for Flora MacDonald, a cabinet minister in the governments of Joe Clark and Brian Mulroney. A Red Tory in the best of ways, she was known for humanitarian work after politics, and lived in the area in retirement. The bridge named after her has an appropriately graceful look. I haven't actually been on it as of yet, a matter I'll have to remedy.


I mentioned in yesterday's post how the ice surface is flooded regularly when the surface gets rough. Here we have one of the drill holes, along the side of the skateway, below the bridge.


I carried on with my walk, pausing to photograph the bridge behind me. I generally find it's easiest to walk along the side, where a thin layer of snow left on the side of the ice makes for better walking than on the ice itself.


The route next took me to Patterson Creek, an inlet of the Canal coming out of the Glebe. A lovely bridge spans the inlet, which is part of the skateway route. An impressive old tree looms above the Canal.


Coming out of Patterson Creek, I photographed back to where I had come from. We'll pick up here tomorrow.

38 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful! A real winter wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few more days and it's spring ... but winter is still present there …
    Nice but so cold! Brrrr ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful, despite the snow, which I personally don't like at all !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great though you disappoint me - I thought Canadians were born with skates on their feet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks beautiful William. I had to smile when you said you don't skate, I think most people imagine all Canadians can skate, the way all imagine that Australians surf.. I don't surf 😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to see ice and snow, here it is only rain....

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Lady Fi: very much so.

    @Tom: it is.

    @Ella: especially right now.

    @Gattina: snow rules!

    @John: unfortunately no.

    @Francisco: thank you.

    @Grace: true.

    @Marianne: we had more than twenty four hours of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photographs
    Skating for me would be on skates with double blades.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I have not skated in years. Looks like a beautiful day just to be outside. Enjoy your day, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really a very nice series again, William.
    I have been skating a lot in my younger years. Unfortunately that came to an end when I was diagnosed with MS in 2004. Since then I like to take another walk on and along the ice in the winter. Because skating is a virus that you will never let go. I would love to take a walk there with you, because we have not had a significant monarch here for two years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have never skated. I think we need to check your DNA, William, to check for maple syrup and hockey molecules.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You took a walk along the canal to another level!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a graceful bridge. I like the other one, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a lovely route and a wonderful tour, William!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was a good walk and a walk provides some excellent photo opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was a nice long walk. You must have really good snow and ice boots.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to skate or walk there!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful images with the white snow and the blue sky !
    It looks still very cold in your area, William.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful area to skate oe walk if you don't fall down. Ok to skate and fall down---LOL
    You should learn to skate it is lots of fun
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful stroll on the canal. A winter wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Maywyn: thank you!

    @Eileen: thanks!

    @Jan: it's still a good walk.

    @David: oh, I do have maple syrup running through my blood!

    @Anvilcloud: it's quite an experience.

    @Marie: true!

    @DJan: I like both.

    @RedPat: that it is.

    @Red: it does, yes.

    @Sharon: I do have good boots.

    @Jenn: I do enjoy it.

    @Karl: it's cold today.

    @MB: I think at this point it's not happening.

    @Bill: that it is.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had visions of you walking with crampons just to stay upright. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice to see the Flora Bridge completed. Both bridges are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A bit surprised that you never learned how to skate!

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Revrunner: I actually don't like those things!

    @Mari: thank you.

    @Happyone: indeed.

    @Joanne: definitely.

    @Kay: it is a beautiful bridge.

    @Stefan: yes, but that's the case.

    @Sandi: very much so.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How wonderful to be able to stroll along on the ice:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't know which bridge I like most -- they're both beautiful. What a long, lovely walk.

    ReplyDelete