Sunday, February 16, 2020

Interactivity

Today I start with something taken on a windowsill at my place. I got this hockey puck earlier on during Winterlude.


Art installations have been part of the festival, with an emphasis on light and interactiveness. Up in the Byward Market are a series of geometric shapes that light up as you walk around them, and play varying music. It's called Oscillation, and I filmed a clip as I walked among them. You can view that right here.


I headed back to Sparks Street. While there I walked through this installation I showed you the other day. Iceberg takes the sounds of an iceberg and plays them as you go through. Different amounts of people can have an effect on those sounds. Check out my video of it right here.


There are several large stationary wheels on Sparks Street at the moment. You can sit inside, move the handlebars as if they're oars, and the wheels will turn, showing the images within rapidly changing, much like old fashioned film projection. Older technology used in a different way.


Another interactive installation. Spectrum uses sound, such as a whistle or a voice from either end, to send light spiralling down to the other end.

32 comments:

  1. ...the lights are great, but the 'music' is a bit eerie. For my tastes, Spectrum is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big wow, how about a video on Spectrum?
    I´m too far away to check it out myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these interactive installations especially the first group that changed colour as you approached. The music is very eerie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tom: thank you.

    @Iris: I'll try for one today.

    @Gattina: thanks.

    @Fun60: indeed.

    @Marianne: I think so too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An emblazoned hockey puck, eh? Canadian art at its finest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the light and the colours of Oscillation, but the sound is not reaylly my thing.
    The combination of sight and sound of Iceberg is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous installations William, enjoyed the videos 💙

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those geometric shapes are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I like the lights at night, the sounds are weird. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those art installations are fascinating. I would have a good time enjoying all of them. I like you puck too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now the spectrum would be very interesting to show the power of sound.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @David: that it is.

    @Jan: the iceberg one I particularly liked.

    @Grace: thank you!

    @DJan: they are.

    @Eileen: you're welcome.

    @Jennifer: thanks!

    @RedPat: thank you.

    @Padre: thanks.

    @Sharon: I enjoyed them.

    @Red: I'll have to video it today.

    @Marie: it certainly is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic!
    They all look like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Creative light installations and neat photos ^_^

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  15. They all were interesting until you got to the end; Spectrum is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fun installations! Did you walk through more than once?

    ReplyDelete
  17. All three are wonderful, that last one looks amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those light installations are very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Maywyn: thanks!

    @Klara: thank you.

    @Carol: that they are.

    @Catarina: definitely.

    @Joanne: thanks!

    @Kay: very much so.

    @Linda: yes, I did.

    @Rosie: I agree.

    @Jeanie: they are.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think the lights look great.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an arty inspiring city you live in William. Love those coloured cubes.

    ReplyDelete