Monday, January 2, 2023

City Daily Photo Theme Day: Best Of The Year

 Today I feature my favourite shots from the Quebec side of the Ottawa River. I start with this February view of the Canadian Museum of History.


In between the curatorial and exhibition wings of the Museum, this view looks across the Ottawa River to Parliament Hill.


In May I wanted to photograph the tulips on this side of the river for the Tulip Festival. This bed lies at the far end of the Portage Bridge.


Back at the grounds of the Museum of History, I took this shot, an iconic one. The flowerbed is dedicated to Malak Karsh, the landscape photographer who was very much the founder of the festival.


And this is back on the terrace between the two wings of the Museum.


In early October I took a shuttle up into Gatineau Park for the fall colours. I stopped for a hike at the lovely and unusual Pink Lake in the hills.


This lake is a rarity in the world, a meromictic lake, where the waters from one layer do not mix with the other deeper layer.


Beyond, the shuttle took me to the Champlain Lookout, where this part of the Gatineau Hills is called the Eardsley Escarpment, and affords a view right down to the valley floor. The Ottawa River can be seen in the distance.


My last destination of the day was the Mackenzie King Estate, deep in the hills, where one of our finest prime ministers, William Lyon Mackenzie King, built a weekend retreat for himself, surrounded by nature and his own dreams for the place. This is Kingsmere Lake- named before he got there, but the name itself would have appealed to him, so he started buying up land here.


The main house bears the name Moorside, a fitting place for entertaining the great and the good.


Mackenzie King had a sentimental streak to him, and part of what he did here was create follies- using pieces of buildings being demolished in Ottawa and beyond, and reassembling them here. This is one of them, at the far end of his garden, called the Window On The Forest.


Another is the Abbey Ruins. You can imagine the estate is popular in the fall.


I finish where I began, on the grounds of the Museum of History, with this autumn view.

36 comments:

  1. The second photograph is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole Ottawa area is quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice series, the first two photos are my favourites. We haven't had any snow here this winter so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have, though it's taken quite a dent with the recent rain.

      Delete
  4. ...the tulips are the best for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vengo a ponerme al día de tus últimas entradas. Con los preparativos de tantas fiestas, no hay tiempo de nada.
    ¡Feliz Año Nuevo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I may remember some of these excursions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I especially like shots 5,6 and the last. Oh for the days when the cranes are gone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots to see on that side of the river.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos always make me want to visit Ottawa. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some great views here! And, love those tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great series of photos ~ beauty ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love looking at a photographer's favorites. I see a few of mine there, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The castle is amazing to view in the distance in the last photo. Tulips are wonderful and colourful to see too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful William, I enjoyed seeing them all.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete