Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Morning Star

Morning Star is my favourite painting in the capital area. This huge mural is painted on a ceiling dome high above the Hall. It is the work of the Dene artist Alex Janvier, and is done in his signature abstract style, deeply influenced by his cultural roots.


A closer look at it from the top floor.


I took a panoramic shot from up here.


We're quite a way up here.


The passage to the Canadian History Hall is lined with images from across the country, done in a mix of reflection and white overlay. This first one is the iconic Rideau Canal in winter.


Another iconic Canadian site: Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia.


Signal Hill in Newfoundland and Labrador.


Metis graves in Batouche, Saskatchewan.


Mountaineering, something that speaks to me.


The Saamis Teepee in Alberta.


The Caribou Monument is in Bowring Park, Newfoundland and Labrador.


A trapper's cabin is an iconic sight in the Yukon.


The Basilica of Ste. Anne de Beaupre is in Quebec.


Point Prim Lighthouse is in Prince Edward Island.

48 comments:

  1. Great photos, extraordinary exhibits. The Morning Star is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some very good modern arts in there

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always nice to see (I think I remember it).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mural is vibrant and very attractive - I have visited Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been in Nova Scotia, but not there. My parents have.

      Delete
  5. Buen acercamiento al mural que hay en el techo. A través de tus fotografías podemos apreciar sus buenos detalles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello
    The Morning Star painting is beautiful, all the exhibits are lovely. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...it always pays to look up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Morning Star' is never boring, but the last serie of images is very beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully painted Morning Star. Interesting exhibits too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like those images along the hallway. And of course the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember that painting. It's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the colours of the first one and that way they made those others. It looks like a mirror. Or not a mirror steel? Very cool looking either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mirror, which is why I try to photograph from the side.

      Delete
  13. The Morning Star is just magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that must have been a "pain in the neck" painting that dome!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome photos of famous buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember your showing Morning Star before. That's my favorite too and I love the detail image.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All very beautiful ~ especially the Morning Star with its colors ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel like I have seen Morning Star before. It's beautifully symbolic! Lovely exhibit all round.

    ReplyDelete