Monday, December 26, 2016

Christmas Within The Chateau

The Chateau Laurier is always decked out beautifully for Christmas, with multiple trees decorated by local companies and organizations as a charity benefit, linked to the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario, if I'm correct. The lobbies and corridors of the first floor are filled with them.


One of those spaces is the sitting area between the main lobby and one of the hotel's restaurants. A number of portraits are permanently placed here, done by the esteemed portrait photographer Yousuf Karsh, who called Ottawa home. Karsh spent the latter half of his career with his studio here in the hotel, after moving over from his original Sparks Street studio. You can see his portrait of Einstein in the background of this first shot.


The Chateau is a delight to stop in at any time of year, but particularly around Christmas. I have more from here after the New Year, as I took some extra shots while I was present.

26 comments:

  1. I love all the lights and details in your photos, William! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Christmas trees are beautiful and they give the place a festive mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful and expressive shots!.

    Tomás.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful Christmas trees! The wreath and shiny ball are so beautiful, too. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of attention was given to decorate the Christmas trees. They look very festive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Christmas trees and decorations.
    I can understand the companies need some advertising, but the big signs in front of the trees are overdone, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Cool that Karsh lived in the hotel. My Honolulu apt is in a little boutique hotel......never a dull moment!

    ReplyDelete

  8. So many Christmas trees, so little time....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the old hotels. there's something about them that says comfort and quality. I told you I stayed in this hotel but it was the Lord Elgin I stayed in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Linda: thanks!

    @Nancy: they do.

    @Tomas: I liked these trees.

    @Tamago: the way that wreath was lit up by the tree really caught my attention.

    @Marleen: they do!

    @Jan: from the photographer's point of view, I would set them aside.

    @Cloudia: he was quite a famed resident in his own right.

    @Norma: oh yes!

    @Red: both hotels are beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The lyrics "have a jolly, holly Christmas" popped into my head looking at these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautiful William! Love that long hallway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful. And I love the works of Karsh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Sharon: quite fitting.

    @Janis: it is!

    @RedPat: that is true.

    @Jennifer: I hadn't realized I'd done that!

    @Tanya: so do I.

    @Catalyst: I do as well. Both brothers, actually, but it's the one with the connections to this hotel who people know by his surname.

    @Parsnip: that it is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Colorful displays. Could barely see Einstein even when enlarged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At some point I should go in and photograph the pics individually again.

      Delete
  16. love the arch way area ... so cool for the eyes. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Fairmont Empress in Victoria has a similar display of Christmas trees each year. The Chateau is really beautiful inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's done here each year. I'll have this year's edition coming up. I just have to remember to add the text!

      Delete