Sunday, May 7, 2017

Cemetery For The Nation

Today I am starting a series from this spot. Beechwood Cemetery is on the northern edge of the Vanier Quarter, very close to Notre Dame Cemetery. It is a large historic property consisting of 160 acres of graves and gardens, with room for more. Politicians, writers, artists, historical figures, and the general public can be found among its graves. There are sections set aside for the military, and for police. Plaques can be found near the graves of those who have had a considerable impact, either locally or on a national level. Unlike Arlington, which is a military cemetery in its stature, Beechwood sees a mix of uses, but is designated as our national cemetery.


One of the first things you come across walking in through the main entrance is Poet's Hill, a section of graves with a literary influence.


The area near Poet's Hill is a cremation garden, with urns interred. It includes this grave, one of the city's finest mayors.


This gazebo, which encloses a number of interred urns, is set in a garden area. Among those interred here are the ashes of Tommy Douglas, a premier of Saskatchewan, a founder of the federal New Democratic Party, and father of the idea of socialized medicine.

26 comments:

  1. A great series from the cemetery. It's always nice to walk there and watch the graves.
    Memorials are really beautiful.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cemetery has been beautifully desinged. Love the idea of Poet's Hill. That must be unique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very unique and neat memorial stones. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those evergreens in that first shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...cemeteries are treasure troves of history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the democracy of all Canadians together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Orvokki: thanks!

    @Gemma: I thought it was fitting.

    @Nancy: thank you.

    @Revrunner: I do too. It is a pleasing entrance.

    @Tom: they are indeed.

    @Cloudia: me too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can give us a history lesson from a tour of this national cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a lovely cemetery, very nice monuments and nice evergreens!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd opt for "Poet's Hill"! Do you suppose there would be room for me when Trump runs me out of the country or perhaps orders my demise?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that row of trees in the first photo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poet´s hill, what a nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gostei das fotografias.
    Gostei bastante do texto e identifico-me no que li.
    Um abraço e bom Domingo.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    Livros-Autografados

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Red: there is a lot of history here.

    @Linda: it was a wonderful place to spend time in.

    @Lowell: I think I read somewhere that this place will be able to handle additional burials or interments for another century.

    @Sharon: I do as well, it's a pleasing entrance.

    @Marleen: it is, yes.

    @Francisco: thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love looking round graveyards. This one looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, I like the Poet's Hill section. It would be interesting walking around there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks like you got in a lot of walking!

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  18. A National cemetery that accepts all is a fantastic idea. The divisions make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  19. gorgeous day. love the decor, looks well taken care of. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  20. Graveyards are always interesting places to visit. As I look at your photos I can't help but think this would be very lovely in the summer or autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's good idea to place urns in gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So many people like walking through cemeteries. I actively avoid them. Excellent photos, though!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's beautiful! I worked with Marion Dewar's son in teacher union politics.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Jenny: this one's a beauty to walk in.

    @Lois: it certainly is.

    @Bill: I enjoyed this walk. I should get up there in the fall.

    @Janis: I did get a lot of walking in that day.

    @Mari: it is quite a place for final burial.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Beth: thank you!

    @Kay: especially in the autumn.

    @Klara: it is, I think.

    @Norma: I like cemeteries.

    @Jennifer: if it's Paul Dewar, I wonder if he's now interred here as well.

    ReplyDelete