Monday, May 17, 2021

Vantages

 I backtracked a bit from where I left off yesterday to photograph two paintings in one of the side corridors of the world collection. T.E. Lawrence as Aircraftman Shaw is from 1935, and is by Augustus John, a portrait of Lawrence of Arabia.

From one war to another. Dunkirk Beaches, May 1940 is by Richard Eurich, dating to 1940-41.


When I started this series I mentioned a large installation at the end of a corridor. This is it. AKA is the work of a collective of New Zealand indigenous artists, the Mato Aha Collective, done in 2019 for an exhibit here on indigenous art across the world. It appears, at least for the moment: to have stayed, dropping down nearly the full heght of the building.


This view looks along the upper level from this area, towards the glass tower.


And coming to the end of that walkway gives a view of the glass tower, lit up at night. We conclude this series tomorrow.

28 comments:

  1. oh AKA kind of looks like a traditional woven Maori fishing net.

    ReplyDelete
  2. War. On TV now again every day, how sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW that fishing net! Incredible.
    Great tour today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...military art I can do without.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello,

    The AKA art is interesting. I like the glass tower at night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Amy: for good reason.

    @Francisco: thanks.

    @Iris: it's always with us.

    @Gemel: it was quite something to see.

    @Tom: I am actually drawn to war art.

    @Eileen: so do I.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful expression in the portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That AKA piece is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is installation is quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting how you showed things I liked and then some I don't like. The group of seven is still my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way that hallway looks. I call it architectural artistry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The glass tower is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the glass tower/facade.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do like that portrait. The human face is hard to recreate, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the very interesting artwork, and what a fascinating fishing net, or whatever it is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a curious fellow Lawrence was.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Magiceye: Lawrence looked stoic.

    @RedPat: I agree.

    @Jan: yes it is.

    @Red: art has that effect.

    @Sharon: that suits it.

    @Bill: definitely.

    @Lady Fi: me too.

    @Michelle: it is.

    @DJan: you're welcome.

    @Marie: so do I.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The indigenous art sculpture is amazing! So much work went into making that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The glass tower is awesome at night.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The New Zealand indigenous work is excellent William, perfectly shown here ✨

    ReplyDelete
  21. Indigenous artwork is lovely ~ Xo

    Living moment by moment,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm fascinated by Dunkirk. The painting captures it well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Joanne: I liked it.

    @Pat: definitely.

    @Italiafinlandia: it is.

    @Grace: I thought so.

    @Carol: thank you.

    @Jeanie: it does.

    @Klara: indeed.

    ReplyDelete