Friday, July 29, 2022

Totems And Moccasins

Edwin Holgate came into the circle of the Group of Seven late in their years of exhibiting together. Here we have his painting, Totem Poles, Gitsegukla, a 1927 painting.


Here we have another work by Emily Carr. Totems dates to around 1930.


In a display case are several pairs of Indigenous moccasins and other footwear.


Memalilaqua, Knight Inlet is the title of this 1912 painting by Carr.


Two portraits of the same woman with the same name: Vera. Done in 1929 and 1930, they are by F.H. Varley of the Group of Seven, and feature his muse Vera Weatherbie.


Myself is a 1933 self portrait by Paraskeva Clark.


I finish today with two portraits by the same artist, Lilias Torrance Newton. Portrait Of Frances Loring dates to around 1942.


Here we have her Self Portrait, done in 1929.

40 comments:

  1. Sorry. I cannot decide. They are all great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The totem paintings are interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The paintings are good and the portraits are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The two totem pole paintings resonate with me the most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if artists who dd self portraits would be selfie enthusiasts today?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful paintings, I love the totems. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don’t remember Holden, but I like his work. Of course, I aha e always liked Carr.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Iris: I think so.

    @Italiafinlandia: they are.

    @Francisco: thank you.

    @Nancy: I agree.

    @Gemel: they're haunting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @David: that's possible.

    @Eileen: thank you.

    @Tom: definitely.

    @Anvilcloud: Carr is great.

    @Marie: indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Carr very much. And the portraits are striking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the self portraits that you showed today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm rather fond of the Memalilaqua, Knight Inlet painting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Jeanie: she has quite a style.

    @RedPat: thank you.

    @Maywyn: they are.

    @magiceye: indeed.

    @John: me too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful! I particularly enjoyed the indigenous part of the exhibit and would have enjoyed looking at those moccasins.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Los retratos dicen mucho de las persona y por eso los prefiero.
    Feliz fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The indian scenes are looking into a piece of history

    ReplyDelete
  17. These portraits look special. The strokes or the colour pallet is unique!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I mostly like the second painting of the totems and the last portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a great fan of Emily Carr. My high school had an original painting of hers. The school is closed now and I think the painting is now in the nNational Gallery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might well be one of the ones I was looking at. Or it's resting in the vaults.

      Delete
  20. Emily Carr is a favorite ~ love her style ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explrores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The second painting from the top really speaks to me. The portraits that you end with all carry the weight of thoughtful intelligent persons. They can lay a lot, William

    ReplyDelete