Sunday, December 25, 2022

Christmas

 Merry Christmas.

I tend to mark the day on my blog with churches. I begin today with a shot taken at the end of November in Westboro. This church houses two congregations- All Saints Anglican and First United. I pass by here once a month.


At the end of the prior month, the sanctuary door had been open, and I got a look inside. What I saw surprised me, as I'd thought the sanctuary would be parallel to the street. Instead, it runs northward away from the street. The original sanctuary, to the west, is now a chapel, and the two are joined together by what I'm guessing is office space, since it's all one building from the outside. The pastor I spoke to said the original building dated to the 19th century, and this current sanctuary is from the 1950s.


Taken on the same day as my first shot, this is the Catholic parish of St. George, at the western edge of Hintonburg.


This was taken one early December morning in the Glebe, in pre-dawn light. Here we have Fourth Avenue Baptist Church.


And downtown, this is Centretown United Church.


Snow was falling on the day I took this. St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church is downtown, across from the Supreme Court of Canada.


I'd been inside in late November- their annual Christmas sale. I took a chance to stop inside the sanctuary.


The arrangement of the sanctuary is unusual, with the pulpit off to the side at centre as opposed to at one end of the space.


Something else unusual: among the musical instruments here was a harpsichord.


St. Patrick Basilica is a Catholic church downtown. This time of year they have a nativity creche outside.


And I finish with this shot of Notre Dame Basilica, taken late in the afternoon just a few days ago from across the street at the National Gallery of Canada.

52 comments:

  1. Lovely, Lovely, Lovely !
    Merry Christmas from Tucson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of different styles, St Andrews is my favourite.
    Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the first ones not the old ones I see them here too. Don't you have a lot of snow ? I haven't seen a snowflake this year and maybe two last year !

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always interesting to be able to look inside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    Beautiful churches, I like seeing inside too. Merry Christmas, I wish you joy and peace and all the best in 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty churches, a Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...Ottawa has so many beautiful churches, thanks for sharing these William.

    ReplyDelete
  8. William, thank you for all the wonderful photos and coverage of our beautiful Ottawa.

    Love that harpsichord. That would be a treat to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the gift of all these churches. I loved the tour. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a good tour for the day, William. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lot of classic architecture represented here. I love the harpsichord. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the bright sanctuary shown in the first church. they are also wise where two congregations share a church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My impression is they're on equal footing, unlike some examples where a host congregation might have another congregation or two also make use of the building.

      Delete
  13. Some very nice stone churches in your photos, we only see them here made of stone when they're victorian, not many left, most are modern now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Unique architecture and a wonderful tour around the church. Beautiful series

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful churches
    It is good most are still in use.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy day for us all. what a great post. i enjoy your church views. you really do have so many that are absolutely breathtaking. thank you kindly for sharing them with us. take care this week. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always find it odd to see historical churches "wedged" in between high office towers and high rises in the big cities...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. St. Andrew's and a couple on the nearby Cathedral Hill have apartment buildings as a backdrop.

      Delete
  18. Enjoyable rambling with you William. A harpsichord!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A church tour is a good thing to do and see,

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely to see these Churches.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ottawa has lovely churches. It's so nice to see them through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete