Saturday, December 31, 2022

Twilight Descends Again Upon Another Year

 It is my habit to mark New Year's Eve with twilight shots taken over the last few months. Such is the case this year, starting with this evening shot in July taken downtown, with moody skies and the very last light of day.


Later in July, I was at Lansdowne Park around dusk and took these two shots at the east end of the property. The first included the north stands with the Aberdeen Pavilion; the second featured the Pavilion with the twilight sky.


In early August, I caught this view over Centretown.


This was late in August, with the same general perspective as in my first shot.


While this was in September. Again, the same location.


And this was late in the day on a November afternoon. Same street, just a hundred metres further east.


I took these last ones a few days ago. I went up to Parliament Hill at end of day and took this first shot of Centre Block, with the Centennial Flame in the foreground.


I moved westward, taking this perspective of the West Block.


On my side of the roadway is a slope with two statues up above. The first is Queen Victoria, silhouetted against the twilight.


The second is Prime Minister Lester Pearson.


Beyond, the road turns, and I got this shot looking out over the Ottawa River, with the Supreme Court in the distance.


A short walk beyond gave me another perspective of the last light of day.


And my last twilight shot of the year, taken a few metres on, includes another statue, Prime Minister Robert Borden, with the Confederation and Justice Blocks off to the west. Farewell, 2022.

60 comments:

  1. Very nice. Happy New Year to you! 🥂🍾

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures ! We end the year with rain and a strong wind 70km/h and very unusual 14°C ! It's Summer ! Wish you a happy and healthy New Year !

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got some great photos in this series. The recent flame photo is my favorite here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some fine photos with which to end the year. Have a good 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures, William. All the very best for 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is another nice twilight series to end the year with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...here's to a wonderful 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful scenes and photos! I wish you all the best in 2023, a happy and healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photo's and I like them. Also a nice 2023 to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing you all the best for the New Year, William, and also a thanks for your blog comments during this past year. Although, I do not comment on posts of many bloggers, I do appreciate and enjoy them throughout the year. Thank you and hope all continues to be well with you. Twilight is a wonderful time of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year and well done. That one of West Block was different from photos that I have seen, and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice theme for the end of the year. Have a great '23.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful series to close the year. The best to you for 2023, William.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year, and thanks for so faithfully visiting and commenting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Twilight is a beautiful time. It's lovely to see this look through the seasons. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Twilight ~ a most beautiful time and gorgeous photos ~

    Wishing you a Happy and Healthy New Year ~
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty twilight pictures. Hard to believe another year has come to an end.
    I wish for you a New Year that is happy, healthy, and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous skies and architecture! Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome photos William! Thank you and Have A Very Happy and Healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy New Year William, beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember this closing of the year ritual and, Every single one is magnificent such beautiful captures! Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Twilight is so beautiful.

    I'm having trouble with blogger and leaving comments, so I am coming through as anonymous!

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete