Friday, January 5, 2024

Parliament Hill And The River Over Time

Once a month, more or less, I come up to a viewing platform where the Alexandra Bridge starts to cross over to Gatineau. From here, I take a shot of Parliament Hill above the Ottawa River through the seasons for documentation. The Chateau Laurier and the Rideau Canal can be seen at left in these pictures.

This first shot was taken in early March on a sunny day. 


In early April, I returned. The ice was breaking up.


The middle of May saw very different conditions, with spring underway.


I missed getting to this spot in June, but passed by on Canada Day, on a day that was hazy due to wildfire smoke conditions.


Later in the month, here's how it looked.


This was how things were looking in August.


Late in September, I returned once again, early one morning.


This was how things looked in the middle of October.


However, by the time I returned in the latter part of November, I was in for a surprise. The Alexandra Bridge is being worked on for some time to come, and the pedestrian lane closed up. The bridge itself is closed up to cars, with pedestrians and bikes allowed through on the central lane. And so my viewing platform was cut off to access. I decided to find a similar vantage point just up the road, a hundred metres or so.


I was returning from visiting the Museum of History a few days before Christmas. I took another shot from here.


But to be honest, I wasn't happy with the location, and thought of another spot a short walk further, in Major's Hill Park, a spot I have often photographed from. I took this shot with the last light of the day. This will do nicely going forward with this series.

40 comments:

  1. You make the time fly by too fast. Beautiful shots, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 'four seasons' are fun to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would've thought that the ice might've started melting for you by March, that's when we start to get Autumn here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The view is beautiful! Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It provides an excellent view of Parliament Hill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...a beautiful sight in any season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. En una de tus fotografías, se advierte que parte del río, se ha helado.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice to see the progression of the ice melt in the early photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great series, and I appreciate your going out in all seasons, as well as finding alternate spots, to take these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a nice series, William.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The seasons make such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting to see the differences in the same view through the year. Too bad about the bridge construction, but in the long run it will be a safer bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I have said before you live in the best are for taking fabulous photos !
    Also.... you left your windows open we were so cold yesterday it was 32 in Tucson that is freezing !
    Hope you have lots of snow.
    cheers, the square ones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had some falling in the last couple of days.

      Delete
  14. Seeing the blue sky in a couple of those photos made me realize there is hope.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to see the changing seasons.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete