Tuesday, January 2, 2024

City Daily Photo Theme Day: Best Of The Year

Gatineau is on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River. I don't get over here as often as I should, but one reason I do come is this, the Canadian Museum of History, seen last winter, with the curatorial wing at left and the exhibition wing at right. Parliament Hill can be seen between them, across the river.


The Museum is a wonder, looking at Canadian history. This is the Grand Hall, a space with totem poles and facades of Pacific Northwest homes. 


And no visit to this place is complete without looking up at the artistic pleasure that is Morning Star, a large mural by Alex Janvier. This is my favourite painting in the national capital region.


February is a time for Winterlude on both sides of the river. In Gatineau, Jacques Cartier Park is turned into a large winter playground, with snow slides erected.


Snow sculptures are also put up.


This one I'm using for my header at the moment.


This bas relief is on the back of the big slides.


Warmer weather, then. Gatineau also takes part in the Canadian Tulip Festival in May. This bed, near the Portage complex, is always one that I stop to photograph.


Back to the Museum of History, where tulips can be found between the two wings.


And they can also be found in Jacques Cartier Park.


I went to the Museum on Canada Day, and once again was in the Grand Hall.


Outside, on what was a day affected by the smoke of forest fires, is a sculpture in a reflecting pool. This is by the First Nations artist Mary Anne Barkhouse, and is titled namaxsala (To Travel In A Boat Together). The sculpture is inspired by a story from her grandfather about him giving a wolf a ride through treacherous waters in his canoe.


These are from the fall, and taken as I passed by the Museum of History on the Alexandra Bridge. The fall colours were lovely. Tomorrow I take you into the Gatineau Hills to round out this look back at last year in the blog.

48 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to You & Yours, William

    The reflecting pool and Morning Star are top favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tour de force seeing them all together like this! Now. I'm looking forward to winterlude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The snow sculptures are so incredible

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winterlude is a particularly welcome festival.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great collection of photos, I love the museum, it is beautiful. The snow sculptures are amazing. One of my favorites is the wolf in the canoe. Have a great day and a happy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Grand Hall is quite spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You bring our nation’s capital to us in wondrous ways, William. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of these photos are ones I remember as my favorites. I do love that ceiling medallion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...the ceiling mural is the best for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The canoe sculpture is my favourite. It is a great photo, William.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so fortunate to have so many beautiful things around you (and festivals) giving these subjects for your photography...my favorite is the Morning Star ceiling painting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The best of the best.
    Happy New Year, William!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was a great year to be in Ottawa.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tulips! That is nice to see. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year William. I cannot believe how much snow you guys have? I too love the mural, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year ~ great series of photos of 2023 ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lo que más me gusta de ese museo, es su buena iluminación.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it. I wish you a Happy New Year William. And may it be spring soon

    ReplyDelete
  19. William, you have obviously had a great year with your camera. The snow sculptures look great, and you got to use one as your header photo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The snow sculptures are amazing.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Morning Star mural is wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete