Wednesday, January 10, 2024

The Light Of The Morning Star

 Morning Star by Alex Janvier is my favourite work of art in the national capital area. This huge mural, highly influenced by the indigenous roots of the artist, hangs over the south end of the Grand Hall at the Museum.


In this case, I made use of the escalators and staircases to frame the painting beyond.


I don't normally like abstract art, but Janvier's style speaks to me, particularly this painting.


Here on the top level, below the painting, is a quote by the late William Commanda, an Algonquin elder who left a big legacy for the country.


One more look from here down into the Grand Hall.

42 comments:

  1. As a big fan of abstract art I of course love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is awesome and inspiring. Thanks for sharing it in detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...it's gorgeous and some day I'd love to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    The ceiling art is beautiful! It is a wonderful museum. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it whenever you show us Morning Star. It is one of my all-time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that artwork too! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

  7. ..
    I liked the angles that included the staircase...nice to see it in it's environment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fine contemporary painting on that dome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An impressive and gorgeous work of art. Thank you for sharing the history also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to see that piece of art, beautiful. Alex Janvier is almost 89 now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had a retrospective here at the National Gallery some years ago. I'd have loved to have met him.

      Delete
  11. Wow! This is indeed beautiful and awesome ~ so creative ~ would be one of my favorites too ~ thanks,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. Just wow!

    I have seen this before. I can't remember where, but it stays in the eyes. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likely here in the blog, as I feature it anytime I visit the Museum.

      Delete