Saturday, February 3, 2024

Achievements In The Country And Beyond

 1967 was the centennial year of the Canadian Confederation, and it was a big year for the country, with Canada Day that year in Ottawa being the centre of attention, while that same year saw Expo 67 in Montreal.


This is the product of the work of two Canadians, Peter Munk and David Gilmour- the Project G stereo.


One of the greatest race horses of all time was a Canadian- the mighty Northern Dancer, who won the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, and Queen's Plate in 1964. His lineage lives on today.


Another accomplished Canadian- the brilliant yet reclusive classical pianist Glenn Gould. Displayed here is a pair of his gloves and one of his caps.


Terry Fox lost a leg to cancer as a teenager. He set out on the Marathon of Hope in 1980 to cross the Canada from sea to sea ro raise money for cancer research, capturing the imaginations of the country in the process. Cancer returned and cut his journey short near Thunder Bay, later taking his life, but in the years since, runs are held around the world each year in his memory to raise money for the fight against cancer.


Women stayed in the workforce more and more after the Second World War, and with that came the fight for equality throughout society.


Our relationship with our southern neighbours has throughout our history been an interesting one. I like the quotes on these two displays from an American President, John F. Kennedy, and a Canadian Prime Minister, Pierre Trudeau. They speak volumes.


I finish today with this photograph from the time of the signing of the North American Free Trade Agreement.

36 comments:

  1. In 1967 I was living in Québec City, Daniel Johnson was Premier of the Province, Charles de Gaulle made his famous balcony speech in Montréal, Jean Drapeau was the mayor and Expo 67 was a roaring success. I look back fondly on that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Great exhibit. I remember the horse Northern Dancer. Take care, have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You remind me that one day in 1967, I passed through Ottawa. It was brief, but I stopped long enough to pay a short visit to the House of Comments when they were having the flag debate.

    My wife's family were somewhat friendly with Glen Gould and his parents. She took piano lessons from Glen's mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Memory of flying from Calgary, Alberta to attend Expo 67 in Montreal. I was so young I don't remember much about the actual event but do recall the hype about it. I'll chat with my dad today to see what he remembers! Will be fun! Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, he does not remember being there.......

      Delete
    2. Oh dear, my older brother has little memory of it. We are clearly a very exciting family!

      Delete
  5. ...I love the Peter Munk and David Gilmour's Project G stereo. For a mere $30,000.00 I could own one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember driving up to Expo 67 from Connecticut! We actually camped in tents on an island in the river, and woke to see huge ocean going vessels going by towering above us! The Expo was marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have fond memories of Expo 67 with my school class. We had a ball.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The North American free trade deal was a long list that was debated a long time .

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is fine to celebrate these milestones and achievements for Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many accomplished people and animal in that exhibit ~ Wow! ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terry Fox empowered us with the Marathon of Hope. Such people remain immortal! Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hadn't heard of Terry Fox and the Marathon of Hope, but the fight against Cancer continues worldwide.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was still a kid, but I remember Terry Fox . Both my parents were taken away by cancer.

    ReplyDelete