Friday, January 1, 2021

City Daily Photo Theme Day: Best Of The Year

Members of City Daily Photo are starting off the year with a look back at 2020 and favourite shots and you can see how they're approaching it right here. I'll be doing two days worth, one for here in Ottawa, and then tomorrow for Gatineau across the Ottawa River.

I'm starting with this view of a bank on Sparks Street, illuminated with colours during Winterlude.


Winterlude is our annual celebration of the best season of all, and we've got the Rideau Canal skateway with nearly eight kilometres of skating surface. This view is downtown, from the Corktown Bridge


Dow's Lake is where the Canal widens, and the Ice Dragon Boat Festival took part in Winterlude.


Ice sculptures are a big part of Winterlude, and this one, lit up at night, was on Sparks Street. Time will tell what happens with Winterlude this year.


The Tulip Festival in May went on, even though Covid ended any formal events. But the flowers are always the star. These beds are in Major's Hill Park.


And this one is along the Canal.


These two shots, taken in Commissioners Park at Dow's Lake during the festival, also drew my eye.


In this second case, because a cat was resting behind the tulips.


This summer shot is taken at Richmond Landing, upstream from Parliament Hill on the Ottawa River.


One day downtown I was checking my mobile and this pigeon circled around and hopped onto the ledge to look at me. Its expression made the shot.


This autumn view is from the pathway along the Ottawa River looking at Parliament Hill.


And I finish with a dramatic night view of the Aberdeen Pavilion at Lansdowne.

32 comments:

  1. Lovely collection. I really love the photo 3.
    Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful images, I love all the tulips!
    I wish you and your family all the best in 2021, a very happy and healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, William.
    You seem to have had quite a colourful year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, especially the final photo.

    I suppose there won't be a Winterlude this year? Will the skateway still open do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos, I love the flowers and the pigeon!
    Have a wonderful year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That carpet of tulips looks very inviting right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great year, William.
    It was nice to see colour...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Ottawa. It has so much to offer. You always highlight it wonderfully!

    Happy. New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have wonderful adventures. I don't know how you can narrow down the photos! Let's hope 2021 brings us more positive times ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Thanks for all the trips you've taken me on this past year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...thank for reminding me of how beautiful Ottawa is. I look forward to a return visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful series of photos ~

    Wishing you a Happy New Year,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great look at 2020 from your world.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful wrap of the year. I hope that this year winterlude will return. These days I always wonder about what will be able to continue to take place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think we all needed to see those bright, beautiful flowers after this last year. The reminder of beauty is a joy. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow much snow first photoes!Wish you a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful series of photos and a great start of the new year.
    Love the colourful tulips, they are so pretty.













    ReplyDelete
  18. Like the colored lights on the first photo and oh so nice to see pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well I can't pick a favourite, they are all spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Italiafinlandia: thank you.

    @Orvokki: thanks.

    @Eileen: thank you.

    @Jan: I did indeed.

    @Anvilcloud: time will tell about Winterlude. There should at least be no reason to close the skateway.

    @Ella: the pigeon was quite a character.

    @David: yes, it does.

    @Catarina: thank you.

    @Marie: thanks!

    @Magiceye: thank you.

    @Jennifer: it was hard choosing.

    @DJan: you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Tom: you're welcome.

    @Carol: thank you.

    @Red: thanks!

    @Sharon: thank you.

    @Jeanie: I hope so too.

    @Mari: I love those flowers.

    @Anita: we do get a lot of snow.

    @Bill: they are such lovely flowers.

    @Happyone: I think so too.

    @Marleen: thank you.

    @RedPat: I did a lot of walking.

    @Gemel: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful shots, especially ice skating and ice boating.
    Do you wear a pedometer?

    ReplyDelete
  23. the Ice sculpture photo is my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  24. So enjoyed these photographs.
    Happy New Year Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete