Friday, January 8, 2021

Northern Land And Rocks

 Above us here is a kayak, standard for the indigenous peoples of the Far North.


In the 19th century the explorer John Franklin led an expedition in search of the Northwest Passage. It was to end in disaster, with all hands lost and his two ships only discovered in recent years. Some of the remnants of the Franklin Expedition are displayed in a case here.


I took another shot of the Arctic ice slabs that starts at the beginning.


Departing, I took a look down at Gaia.


Here is a look up at the Moon.


The Earth Gallery is next, with three main types of rocks as the introduction, with samples. First is sedimentary.


Metamorphic rock is next.


And lastly, magmatic rock.

23 comments:

  1. I'm sure ice expeditions back then could've benefited from our modern technology and ideas that we have now but even then I think it'd be quite an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Wonderful exhibit. The magmatic rock is cool.
    Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have taken a couple of courses in geology. Fascinating stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...if I could start all over again, I'd like to be a geologist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always liked the geology section at the ROM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very beautiful series. Wish my Dad was around to see this...

    ReplyDelete
  7. If people knew some basics about rocks they would have a much better understanding of the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The model moon is pretty impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful rocks. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Amy: it would have been.

    @Italiafinlandia: I agree.

    @Agnieszka: thank you.

    @Eileen: thanks!

    @Jan: I hope both are permanent.

    @David: that it is.

    @Tom: it would be quite a career.

    @RedPat: me too.

    @Iris: thanks!

    @Red: true!

    @Bill: I think so.

    @Marleen: that they are.

    @DJan: you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the aspect of Gaia you took, and that piece of magmatic rock is just beautiful. Great post William.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to try kayaking this year. That one looks ancient.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fascinating display ~ from the vintage kayak to the moon ~

    Moment by moment.....

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such great geology in your part of the Earth!

    ReplyDelete