Saturday, January 2, 2021

City Daily Photo Theme Day: Best Of The Year

Today I have favourite shots from the Gatineau side of the Ottawa River, with a definite emphasis on the Canadian Museum of History. During a visit I showed last January, the museum had an exhibit showing about Neanderthals. This reverse on the old stereotype made me smile.


The same applied to this at the end of the exhibit, a refreshingly modern look on what a Neanderthal might look like in the current day. It turned out to be an enlightening exhibit.


This look outside includes an art installation of a wolf in a canoe. The Ottawa River and Alexandra Bridge are in the background.


A church, St. Onuphrius, is at the heart of the permanent galleries in the museum.


Here we have a view upon leaving, of the Museum's curatorial wing at left and the entrance to the exhibit wing in the background.


A few months later I came across this mural in a courtyard near Gatineau's city hall.


The Tulip Festival is a tradition on both sides of the Ottawa River. These were near where the Portage Bridge emerges into Gatineau, a lovely mix of white, purple, and pink.


And here are some outside the Museum of History.


Late in the summer I paid a couple of return visits to the Museum. This is in the Great Hall, which is filled with First Nations totems and house facades.


And this is my favourite work of art in the region, Morning Star, by Alex Janvier, captured during this visit. The Dene artist painted this colourful abstract mural on one of the domes inside the Museum. It never fails to raise my spirits.


Further along in the permanent galleries is this, an elkskin with painted images on it in a circle. This is of the Blackfoot people of the plains, and it resides in a place of honour here in the museum.


Here we have powow regalia, given to the Museum by its owner, a First Nations powow dancer.


And I finish off with this view, outside the Museum, showing Parliament Hill and the Chateau Laurier across the river.

29 comments:

  1. Morning Star photos always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Star and that little old church are wonderful objects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    Wonderful collection. I love the mural and the flowers. The little church is pretty.
    Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is clear that Neanderthals still live. Jason Kenney and Doug Ford spring instantly to mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this segment and especially the Morning Star mural.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a nice virtual stroll...
    Have a good weekend

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've had a fascinating tour with you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the name of that church. I'm off to investigate its origin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that mural with the bear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tulips! Nice to see on this rather gray second day of January.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The modern day Neanderthal is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the look of that Museum. I must get there one day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well worth seeing again. I've been in little churches like that in the American West. They are really interesting. It also hits you how much smaller people were back in the 1860's through 1890's.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A nice look back. I think my favorite is the little church.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Maywyn: me too.

    @Jan: I agree.

    @Eileen: thanks!

    @David: hah!

    @Marie: she stood out.

    @Francisco: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Magiceye: thanks!

    @Agnieszka: thank you.

    @DJan: that mural speaks to me.

    @Catarina: thanks.

    @Tom: that it was.

    @Red: a pleasure doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Jackie: it's quite a church.

    @Sharon: I do too.

    @Revrunner: and this year's tulips are months away.

    @Bill: I thought so.

    @RedPat: you should!

    @Mari: that is true.

    @Happyone: it's neat.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I started to read this I was hoping for the "Morning Star" one of my favorites.
    Hope your having a cold and snowy start to the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember many of these photos fondly, including my favorite -- the Morning Star. Happy New Year, William. A wonderful look back.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wolf in the canoe and morning star are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great series of photos ~ The reversal of the 'neanderthal' does make one smile ~ ^_^

    Wishing you a Happy, Creative and Healthy New Year,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Neanderthal exhibit was quite something to see.

      Delete