Wednesday, March 1, 2023

City Daily Photo Theme Day: Comfort Food

 The first day of the month is a theme day for members of City Daily Photo, and for March, that theme is Comfort Food. Take a look at how others are interpreting the theme right here.

I start with this unassuming restaurant which makes good pizza. Centretown Donair and Pizza is in my area. From time to time I'll pick one up.


Their pepperoni pizza is delicious.


So too is their Canadian pizza- pepperoni with mushroom and bacon.


Perhaps comfort food might be characterized as Lindt chocolate.


Or a milkshake. From time to time, my fridge top shelf gets stocked with these.


Onion rings are a particular favourite.


Breyers is a brand of ice cream here. A few months back they started putting out Canadian dessert flavours. The butter tart is a quintessential Canadian treat. I had to ask a friend who comes from Newfoundland what blueberry grunt is. Essentially it's a cobbler, but one that's very well liked around the Atlantic provinces.


Poutine is a Canadian classic dish, definitely comfort food. At its most basic it's fries topped with gravy and cheese curds. I go to a restaurant called Great Canadian Poutinerie once a month for takeaway. They customize with extra toppings. In this case, the Sauce Boss, which is topped with chicken, barbecue sauce, sweet mustard, and garlic mayo. It was good.


This is the Canadian, topped with ground beef, bacon, mushroom, and maple syrup.


Di Rienzo's is a deli and small grocery store in Little Italy that's famous in the city and beyond. It's one of my primary food sources. They make ready made and deli panini sandwiches, and pastas to go at the counter, and it's always busy at lunch time, especially with a walk in customer base from the neighbourhood. On the day I took this shot, I picked up steak sandwiches.


Also in Little Italy: a Greek bakery called The Nutty Greek. I'll stop by once a week for something. On one such occasion, a sausage souvlaki in a pita, which came home with me. 


And of course there is the Beavertail, a classic Canadian pastry that got its start here in Ottawa, with its original location operating year round from the Byward Market. A beavertail is a flat fried pastry in the shape of its namesake, topped in various ways. During festivals, like Winterlude, portable locations are put out into various locations around the city. This one was on Sparks Street as I was returning in early evening to take in the ice sculptures in evening light. I got one with maple butter.


Finally, it was Pancake Tuesday several days ago. I'd been doing takeaway from restaurants during Covid, but for the first time since Pancake Tuesday in 2020, I ate in at a restaurant, Dunn's in the Byward Market, on what turned out to be a cold snowy day. Pancakes were the order of the day- with blueberries, strawberries, banana, icing sugar, whipped cream, and maple syrup. Definite comfort food, topped off with Earl Grey tea.

56 comments:

  1. Yum! All of the above! But especially the poutine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the onion rings! πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the pizza!!!! Want!!! A Nutty Greek in Little Italy? That´s nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I hear pepperoni on Pizza I have to laugh, my Italian husband ordered in the States a Pizza with pepperoni and his eyes almost dropped on the plate because he saw sausage slices ! He thought it was a mistake and asked the waiter, but it wasn't a mistake the pepperoni which are red pepper in Italian, became suddenly sausages overseas. I wonder who had translated this ! He had a lot of success with his pepperoni story in Italy !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful feast of comfort food

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    I see a few of my favorites, yummy comfort food. Pizza is number one! Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me gusta su fachada y las consumiciones que veo en los platos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pancakes! 😳❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is pretty thorough. What appealed to me most this morning before breakfast are the onion rings. Perhaps because I have recently had a Canadian pizza, and I would prefer just plain pancakes without those toppings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get those from another pizza shop, and I'll get a couple of slices. That one makes big slices, so two is more than enough.

      Delete
  10. Send me your belt and I'll be happy to add a hole or two for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poutine is even available here, in the east of France, and next the main railway station in Frankfurt, Germany

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much fabulous looking food. Glad I could eat all I wanted with my eyes and not gain weight. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...a yummy post, I remember Di Rienzo's!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. You have a lot of different comfort foods, William. We had pancakes for Fat Tuesday also.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, you've made me hungry. So much good food.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You really know how to find the good food.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is clearly plenty of choice of fast food in the area. But I stuck with the pizzas, especially the second one seems very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Such an array of comfort foods ~ everyone looks delish ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah pizza!! Some of those little places make the best pizza!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum. I remember Breyer's ice cream back to my childhood. And I've tried poutine and liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great selection of comfort food. Love the post, now it's time to eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do love poutine and enjoyed too much of it in British Columbia last year. All of your choices look good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks so much for letting me learn about some of the Canadian favorite foods...many of which aren't available down here in the mid-south of the US. I can duplicate the pancake at least...if I wanted to. I do like Bryers ice cream, but I'm a butter-pecan gal.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh boy, I would love that place! Your pancakes look fantastic and I have never tried poutine. I am always seeing it online. I would try every dish and would probably be waddling home after a week there, but it would be worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Interesting to see all the different comfort foods. The pancakes look wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great entry back into restaurant eating -- that wonderful looking pancake with all the fruit! I think everything you showed in your post looks wonderful. I haven't had poutine -- Rick has and likes it but the only place I've been in Canada that had it was kind of sketchy for ordering it and I gave it a pass. It looks good, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having it tonight after a long, long day. Quebecor, topped with bite sized pogo hot dogs and sweet mustard.

      Delete