Monday, October 30, 2017

Rideau Hall And Its Autumn Colours

More from Rideau Hall today. This room is in the heart of the manor- the large space actually comprises the original building that was radically altered and expanded on in the decades after the government acquired it. Thomas McKay and his family had lived within these walls; one would wonder what he'd have thought about how much it's changed.


This tree was set up in the room- and decorated for Thanksgiving.


Something else that's in the room is a wooden model of Rideau Hall. Each piece can be removed in turn so that the tour guide can show just how much was added on. To give you an idea of where we are- the original manor is a rectangular low section on the left, tucked behind the grand entry hall and its two adjoining large halls. The long portion and adjoining sections to its right are all private space: guest rooms, working spaces, and the living quarters of the Governor General. So the original manor has been dwarfed over time. These days the building has over 175 rooms and 9500 square metres (102 000 square feet) of space. Numerous other buildings are on the grounds as well.


Here we have the Ballroom. It is a large space, held for official receptions, the swearing in of a new cabinet, receiving ambassadors, and other occasions. A portrait of Queen Elizabeth hangs on the far wall.


On the near wall is a set of paintings by First Nations artists. They include this one by Alex Janvier, whose retrospective exhibition at the National Gallery of Canada I showed you in a couple of series some months back; click here and here for the first posts in those series. For those readers in the greater Toronto area, a smaller version of that exhibition is currently underway at the McMichael Gallery up in Kleinburg into early January. You should go see it.


This stained glass window can be found in this room as well.


Departing out the main entrance, I paused to photograph the fountain, which has been changed significantly from what it was before.


I then headed for the main gate, pausing to photograph fall colours as I went, checking on names of those who'd planted the trees. 


This inukshuk is along the driveway.


One more glance at the grounds, but of course we'll be back here again at some point. If you're ever in the area, you should come and see this place. I will have more fall colours to come, as I've been taking more shots since this day, but it'll be in the latter part of November, after a series on Remembrance Day.

38 comments:

  1. The details in the Hall are gorgeous. Your first photo says it all. I love that arched doorway and its trim. It certainly has changed in its lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting a glance both inside and outside.
    Happy Monday, William
    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...a beautiful spot, inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, it is a beautiful place, the trees and fall colors are lovely. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Qqthose rooms are beautiful. I like the pumpkin on top of the tree

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool water feature, i enjoy the ceiling, those are super high up. neat decor. love the Christmas tree 2, very unique. ( :
    happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Thanksgiving tree is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Lady Fi: it is!

    @Kay: it is quite a transformation.

    @Janis: I enjoyed showing it.

    @Francisco: thank you.

    @Tom: definitely.

    @Eileen: thanks!

    @Janey: me too.

    @Beth: it was unexpected.

    @Marleen: very much so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recognised the Alex Janvier painting right away. I'm not far from the McMichael so I think I'll have to go and look. I have never seen a Thanksgiving tree before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, William. Such elegance indoors and the gardens are so pretty this time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even in the rain it's a beautiful place.
    I like that inukshuk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This facility is striking at any time of year but fall really sets it off.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That painting by Janvier is beautiful. There is something very delicate about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the pastel colors on the walls. The Thanksgiving tree is interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Shammickite: I really enjoyed the National Gallery's retrospective, and that was a big show.

    @Jo: the property is well taken care of.

    @Jan: I do as well. I'll likely come back in the winter.

    @Red: I definitely agree.

    @Sharon: his Morning Star at the Museum of History is something I've always loved, so seeing so many of his other works appealed to me. Which is odd- generally speaking I don't really go for abstract, but this is an exception.

    @Lois: it certainly is. That was a first to see that kind of decor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It'a a wonderful hall and the fountain is gorgeous !
    Re your comment on BDP: That is St. Florian, the protector of firefighters, a very common mural here in South Tyrol...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful building and I too love that fountain.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's grand and tainted with elegance and you speak of this hall often, so it's nice to see it up close and personal. I notice there were some other photographers there, also!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A great place to visit and the check on all the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad you explained that that was a Thanksgiving tree and not a Christmas one already!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Revrunner: definitely!

    @Karl: thanks for letting me know!

    @Denise: it certainly is.

    @Lowell: who can resist photographing that?

    @Nancy: it certainly is.

    @RedPat: too soon for that!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The ballroom is so grand! I can imagine many a glittering ball there!
    Beautiful fountain too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely Autumnal photos ~ love the dancing figure painting and the dazzling water fountain ~ ^_^

    love and light,
    A ShutterBug Explores
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've not seen a Thanksgiving tree before. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful place. Nice photos, William.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I seriously doubt if there was a Thanksgiving Tree in the old days. It's a nice decorative touch though.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The wall color in the first photo is interesting shade of pink. Nice photos

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Christine: it's quite a space.

    @Carol: thanks!

    @Fun60: a pleasure to show the place.

    @Bill: thank you.

    @Mari: it's a good idea!

    @Maywyn: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is quite a place, William. I love the salmon and robin's egg blue walls. But, a THANKSGIVING tree? I didn't realize that Canada celebrates Thanksgiving (I thought that it is a distinctively USA holiday) and even more, I am amazed that it would be celebrated by decorating a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  30. it is a stunning place ... I would love to visit there (and your whole city and province and country for that matter!) Maybe someday we will be fortunate enough to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I enjoyed the tour through your photographs.
    I always like stained glass windows, and that fountain looks brilliant.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  32. I cannot remember if we've been to McMichael!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I like this stained glass window very much.

    ReplyDelete
  34. @Jack: as I understand it, the first Thanksgiving was marked by Martin Frobisher while on an Arctic voyage in Canada's far north- decades before the pilgrims.

    @Sallie: I enjoy visiting the Hall, whether or not I take a tour.

    @Whisk: I enjoy getting out and about.

    @Jan: I certainly agree!

    @Jennifer: I have, years ago, a couple of times or so.

    @Klara: and so do I.

    ReplyDelete