Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Following The Path Along The River

A reminder to readers in the area: in a few days, the Chaudiere Falls will be lit up in the evenings through early November as part of the Canada 150 celebrations the city is undertaking this year. Access points are near the War Museum, and yes, I will be taking advantage of the opportunity to photograph those waterfalls.

This large stone house stands at the east end of Jacques Cartier Park in Gatineau. Today it is a rest stop, tourist information location, and a place to rent bikes. The bike path carries on beyond it towards Lake Leamy Park. 


The park properly begins with this waterway. This is a secondary outlet for the Gatineau River. Much of the park is an island (or islands, to be more precise, since there are a couple of these secondary channels). The main channel of the river is on the east end of the park. The park, with ecologique as part of its French title, is different from a typical city park- much of it is woodland and meadows for wildlife, interspersed with bike and walking trails. That includes views of the Ottawa River along the way. In response to a question in yesterday's post, the origin of the Gatineau River's name is disputed. On the one hand, it is said that it is named for a fur trader named Nicolas Gatineau who drowned in it in 1683. On the other, the Algonquins who lived here long before white settlement say its origins lie in their language- they called the river Te-nagadino-zibi, which means The River That Stops One's Journey.


At one of the lookouts, we get another perspective of the Rideau Falls on the far shore of the Ottawa River. The French embassy stands east of the falls. 24 Sussex Drive, the residence of the Prime Minister, stands to the east of that embassy. I have added this post to this week's Tuesday's Treasures linkup.

33 comments:

  1. That stone house is quite a nice rest stop. And the park itself looks like it has much to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnificas estas fotografias tiradas através do passeio pelo rio.
    Um abraço, boa semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    O prazer dos livros

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...William, so much beauty here, the stone work on the building, the open spaces and the moody skies. I invite you to share this post at Tuesday's Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty park. Can't wait to see some of the Canada 150 lights!

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Lady Fi: it is.

    @Kay: the park was a delight.

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Marianne: thank you.

    @Tom: I will do so.

    @Janis: of course, I find myself wondering when I can post them!

    @Marleen: so do I.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, it is a beautiful park. Lovely scenes and a great spot for a walk. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day and the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That park is a great place for a walk now and then.
    I'm looking forward to see the Chaudiere Falls lit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The original councils showed wisdom to set aside park areas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh would I love to ride a bike through that area and along that gorgeous river!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that beautiful stone building.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Eileen: thank you!

    @Norma: it certainly is.

    @Jan: so am I!

    @Red: this was a good decision.

    @Lowell: it must be well used. I saw quite a number of people walking or biking while I was here.

    @Sharon: so do I. When I saw it, I knew I had to photograph it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful park. I'd love to go on a bike ride or walk on the trail!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for showing more of this great parkland - I would really enjoy renting a bike & heading out along the paths!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Windows on this end of the upper story but not in the front. I wonder what that was all about.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great park! You must have been pleased that you ventured over there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A beautiful park and a gorgeous stone house! Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful location,William and wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is really beautiful out there and I love the old stone house.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Tamago: both are ideal activities here.

    @Christine: you're welcome.

    @Revrunner: that is curious.

    @Lois: I figured people would.

    @RedPat: I was!

    @Colorful World: thanks!

    @Bill: I agree!

    @Denise: me too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great stone house and a beautiful area. I like your new header.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  21. gorgeous stone home, i love the day, looks so pretty with all those puffy clouds. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful county and gorgeous photos ~ wonderful! ^_^

    A ShutterBug Explores ~ (aka A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  23. We're going to count on you to take come photos! We're having the kids over Saturday!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. That stone house is beautiful! It will be nice to see it all lit up!

    ReplyDelete
  25. @MB: thanks!

    @Beth: thank you.

    @Mari: that was a long walk, that day.

    @Carol: thank you!

    @Jennifer: I never got a chance to get out to the winter version of MosaiCanada, unfortunately.

    @Cloudia: thanks!

    @Tanya: it looks different in winter.

    @Klara: it is a nice area for a stroll.

    ReplyDelete