Thursday, October 5, 2017

Reaching The Joining Of Waters

Here we are close to the east end of Leamy Lake Park.


The park's eastern boundary meets the main channel of the Gatineau River, which flows from its headwaters to the north along a route of 386 kilometres to its outlet just south of this spot. Across from here is a church; you may have spotted the spire in one or two distance shots in my first post from this series. Before amalgamation of the city of Gatineau, this would have been the boundary between the cities of Gatineau, on that shore, and Hull, on the shore where I was standing.


The path takes us to the meeting of two great rivers. The Gatineau River reaches its end here and joins the Ottawa River. The Gatineau shoreline is at the left, and the Ottawa neighbourhood of Rockcliffe Park is wooded at the right on the far shore.


There is a large house up in Rockcliffe Park that can be seen closer here. From comparisons to shots I've found online, I believe it is Lornado, the official residence of the American ambassador. The name of the place comes from a shortening of the novel title Lorna Doone. Lornado hosts a Fourth of July party every year held by the ambassador- the latest one has taken forever to actually get around to filling the post, months after the last one was told by the incoming administration that he was out of a job. I doubt I'll be invited anytime soon, particularly with my rather low opinion of Agent Orange, but then again, how much longer will that insufferable, dementia ridden, insecure, knuckle dragging, dimwitted, narcissistic, thin-skinned jackass and world's oldest temper tantrum throwing crybaby be fouling up the Oval Office? 


Looking off to the left takes in another view of the church I showed above.


A side trail leads up to a spot a short distance away overlooking the Ottawa River. The Macdonald-Cartier Bridge, where I began all of this, can be glimpsed to the west.


Here, on the bridge crossing the main channel of the Gatineau River, is another glimpse of that church, which we'll see more of tomorrow. The bridge itself is the Lady Aberdeen Bridge, the oldest of the bridges connecting the two sectors of Gatineau. A bridge has been here since 1894, and the original span here was named for the wife of a governor-general, while a second span crosses on its north side.

29 comments:

  1. ...I love the church along the water in the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was the interjection in the middle, just to see who really reads? (wink).
    I hope you were jogging between photos. Lovely trail!!

    Janis
    GDP
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super walk you've taken us on William, so much to see along the riverbank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, pretty views of the river and park! The church is pretty. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tom: I do too.

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Janis: it felt good to say it! :)

    @Grace: a pleasure to do so.

    @Eileen: thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite a walk, William, but I really liked it. I even took Google Maps to get a better idea of the surrounding. It's a wonderful park.
    Oh and that guy ... he 's a real moron.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful walk William. Love your description of 45!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely views from your walk. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how you worked in the rant onTrump! You really don't like the guy. I don't like him either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a real travelogue. And your description of Trump is terrific, although you were perhaps a bit too easy on him. I do love that first photo where the church is first show. I'm curious as to what brand of church it is. And these rivers are majestic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Jan: I couldn't resist the thoroughly accurate description of the moron in question. :)

    @Lois: it certainly fits him!

    @Nancy: thank you!

    @Red: Oh, I think he's the worst human being alive today, worse than even some third world dictators. They can be contained. Him, on the other hand? He's in charge of the world's most powerful nation, and has no impulse control. The sooner he is removed from office, the better. I'm picturing disgraced resignation before year's end.

    @Lowell: I could have said much worse, but that would involve swearing. It's a Catholic church, actually. It was beautiful inside. I'd have taken pictures, but there was a mass going on when I stepped in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had me laughing out loud. First at "Agent Orange" and then at the rest of the sentence. You shouldn't hold back. Tell us what you really think. We all feel pretty much the same.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And nice mansard roof on the church house, it looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful sceneries. Looks so peaceful -- helps me forget about A.O. for a little while :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What lovely scenes. And that huge church is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore your photos, you're wonderful narrative, and your opinion of the current miscreant fouling the Oval Office

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos, William, thank you so much for sharing these lovely scenes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lots more to see along this stretch especially the church.

    ReplyDelete
  19. gorgeous area, love the church and cityscape. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are great photos of that beautiful area. I took great note of your narrative. It's a crazy time we live in that's for sure. Granted I have only lived in this country for 42 years but I've never seen anything like it. It saddens me greatly to think the country is so divided, but then something happens like the heinous act in LV, and people come together and help each other under such dire circumstances. That's when I see hope. My heart goes out to all those in hurricane affected areas too. My neighbor's family is in Puerto Rico and my goodness, I am hoping upon hope that they will get the help they need.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Sharon: I am easily dismayed these days, it seems!

    @Revrunner: I expect so.

    @Tamago: I refuse to call that man president.

    @Lady Fi: it was quite the walk to get out there!

    @Cloudia: thank you!

    @Linda: you're welcome.

    @Christine: I was glad to take this trip.

    @RedPat: it was a very pleasant day.

    @Beth: so do I.

    @Denise: at the very least, all of this is going to be an object lesson: never vote for someone like this again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely walk William. That last shot with the church is fabulous and very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks very inviting and great photos ~ pretty country ~ thanks,

    A ShutterBug Explores aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful pictures. Satisfying rant. I'll resist further embellishment.

    ReplyDelete
  25. There must be beautiful view from the church tower.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Reminds me of the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Bill: thank you!

    @Carol: thanks!

    @Kay: I like to rant!

    @Klara: I'd have loved to photographed inside the church, but there was something going on inside.

    @Norma: that's what it reminds me of.

    ReplyDelete