Saturday, August 20, 2022

Modernism

We begin today with The Quarries Of Le Chou Near Pontoise, an 1882 painting by Paul Gauguin.


The First World War began to dramatically influence art while serving as a subject. This is Returning To The Trenches, a 1914 painting by Christopher Nevinson.


Dazzleships In Dry Dock In Liverpool is a 1919 work by Edward Wadsworth, depicting the Great War habit of painting warships in a way that broke up their pattern to distant observers at sea.


This sculpture fascinates me. Torso From The 'Rock Drill' is a bronze by Jacob Epstein, cast in 1916, the only portion of the original planned sculpture to be cast. It feels nightmarish- like something Tolkien might have dreamed up, or something from a dark future. At least that's what I see.


Nearby, another sculpture. Alexander Calder created Jacaranda in 1949. It hangs from the ceiling in this area.


Today I finish with The Black Cat, by Gino Severini, dating to 1911.

20 comments:

  1. William - I didn't know about painting warships as a disguise. Cool! That sculpture is very interesting. It reminds me of the "alien" from the movie of the same name. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ones from war-time sure show the devastation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I am not mistaken it was Sir Peter Scott, renowned ornithologist and son of the Antarctic explorer who devised the system of painting battleships to break up their outline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    Love the sculptures, the landscape painting and the Black Cat. Take care, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last piece is fascinating. I’d like to see that in the gallery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The art is magnificent, but the ceilings amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Angie: I remember an exhibit at the war museum several years ago on camouflage.

    @Iris: definitely.

    @David: it's a good idea.

    @Gemel: me too.

    @roentare: they do.

    @Eileen: thank you.

    @Marie: I like it.

    @Sandi: I can see that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Calder is one of my favourites so I love seeing that mobile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a variety of wonderful art.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you have a Gauguin too ! It's a pity that these cheerful paintings were framed with this old golden stuff which takes the attention from the picture ! Nobody would buy a frame like that today ! The black cat looks like the cubism style, but all this was the future and not very much appreciated at that time !

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...the Calder mobile is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great part of the exhibition, especially the paintings are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am too unrefined to appreciate some art.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful modern art exhibit and photos ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Se nota la gran modernidas, sobretodo en las últimas fotografías.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That Nevinson is really sobering. And I loved the Black Cat. But then, I would!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @RedPat: it's a good mobile.

    @Magiceye: that they are.

    @Sharon: definitely.

    @Gattina: the Gallery has a Gauguin sculpture as well, which is quite unusual.

    @Tom: that it is.

    @Jan: thanks.

    @Anvilcloud: some modern art speaks to me, others do not. I can understand Picasso as art, but it doesn't speak to me.

    @Carol: thank you.

    @Ventana: thanks.

    @Jeanie: of course!

    ReplyDelete