Tuesday, May 9, 2023

A Garden In The Spring

 It has been my habit for the last few years to visit the Landscapes Of Canada Gardens each season to document it. This is at the west end of the property at the Canadian Museum of Nature. It consists of plants, shrubs, grasses, and flowers from four distinctive ecosystems across Canada. I came by one day in late April. We begin with Boreal Forest, where trees, bushes, and plants of that vast ecosystem are present here.


Beyond it is Prairie Grassland, short at this time of the year, but it grows quickly, transplanted from the west. A careful eye will note a path to the right. Unfortunately local dog walkers appear to be too lazy to actually stay on the path, and have worn a path by cutting right through the grass.

This is why, in general, I hate people. I don't blame the dogs, it's the people.


Low lying bushes here in the Boreal Forest section caught my eye.


Looking across to the Museum. Once the warmth really settles in, the grasses will grow and at least block the view of that worn path made by said lazy people.


Across the path is an art installation, an iceberg in stainless steel by the late artist and inventor Bill Lishman.


Taken from the west side of the property, this includes the Museum and iceberg. Among the rocks and stones here are plants of the third ecosystem, Arctic Tundra.


The fourth ecosystem is Mammoth Steppe, where plants that existed at the time of the mammoths thrive today.


A family of mammoths are here along the trail. These statues predate the Garden. Beyond, the Queens Lantern of the Museum houses a model of the Moon.


And a preview of things to come: tulips in the beds outside the main entrance. They weren't open, but they were showing colour.

54 comments:

  1. William - I understand your disappointment in people. It shocked me to learn that our local Chamber launched an education program for tourists - how to act in the wilderness, for example. I guess it is not obvious that one should not leave trash in the wilderness .... oh dear!!! Love the last shot of the tulips in the act of becoming. Cool. Thanks for your recent visit to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting concept around which to plan a garden. On some housing developments around here they've just grassed the whole area, then wait to see where people walk before putting in permanent pathways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A useful way to exploit the garden area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People will often take the shorter route, everyone knows that. So city planners, architects and others should plan parks with that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but it's such a frustrating thing that locals have such disregard for something that ought to be special.

      Delete
  5. I love your yearly visits to the garden. And, I have the same opinion on people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally speaking I am far more kindly about animals.

      Delete
    2. I can be a grouch, but put a critter in front of me and I'm all "awww, aren't you a sweetie?"

      Delete
    3. I totally relate, as I am the same.

      Delete
    4. But people? Sheesh. Today a particular waste of oxygen really irritated me.

      Delete
  6. A fellow I once knew used to say, "The more I am with my dog, the less I like people!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the tulips and elephant sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...that bed of tulips is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Mamouth family. Can't wait to see your views of the beautiful tulips. I look forward to the other seasons in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a grey time of year until the flowers start popping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting art installation amidst nature!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the family of mammoths, what a sight to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great series of photos ~ love the mammoths ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice to see the garden come to life again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I lovevthe éléphant statue but not that modern thing. Looks like a nice place for à walk.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So nice to see the tulips in your last photograph.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been photographing a lot of them, and expect to be doing so more in the coming days.

      Delete
  17. There are a lot of icebergs off the Newfoundland coast this year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can hear the mammoths trumpeting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay to Spring and hello from dog-poo-on-pavements-country... Lost two pairs of shoes...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes. Dog walkers can be very annoying. After a less than pleasant experience with dogs this past weekend, I know it's the owner, not the dog. But the gardens are great and you are fortunate to have such nice ones in your city.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I imagine that it looks better already.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Canadian Museum of Nature is an impressive building. Another enjoyable series. I agree, it's not the dogs, it's those who walk them. I love dogs but they can be made to seem very unpopular because of the thoughtless behavior of their humans. Thankfully not all dog owners are like them.

    ReplyDelete