Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Spring Odds And Ends

 I have some odds and ends today, taken at various points in April. Early in the month one morning I was out before dawn, and took this shot looking west. The Moon was seen in the western sky, along the left side of the street.


A short walk away, looking eastward: the first light of day over Dundonald Park, with snow still on the ground.


It's been awhile since I've photographed this building. Mercury Court is in the Byward Market downtown. It was once a department store. An architecture firm that specializes in heritage buildings gave it a complete overhaul, and today their offices are among those inside.


In the middle of the month I was heading to the Ottawa River for my twice a month views from the Portage Bridge. On the way, I stopped at the site for Adisoke, the building that will house the future main branch of the Ottawa Public Library and some facilities for Library And Archives Canada. Progress has been made since I last showed it to you.


Getting onto the bridge, I saw the first Canada geese I've seen in the spring resting on Victoria Island. I photographed this pair.


Coming back, this scilla caught my eye. These are the first flowers of spring, always seen in the latter part of April here.


Winter here went out with an ice storm. A couple of days after the above shots, I was passing by Dundonald Park, where some of the damage from the storm was waiting to be dealt with.


One of the best spots for scilla in the city is in Central Park in the Glebe, where on a slope on the east side of Bank Street, they flourish in April. I stopped by a few days later and took these.


I was by the stadium at Lansdowne Park at dawn one morning late in April and took this shot of the rising sun.


Lastly, this was taken yesterday. I bought this pair of socks at a shop in Little Italy. I got a much needed smile out of the inscription- entirely appropriate since I got as sick with a cold as I've ever been in early April and am still dealing with the effects of it.

54 comments:

  1. Marvellous collection of photos. The geese are interesting since we don't see those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They flee south for the winter, so these were the first I had a good look at this season.

      Delete
  2. A varied collection of photos. I need some of those socks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adore your predawn shots William

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are enjoying the Scilla flowers right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice shots of the first spring colours.
    My photo buddy and I were attacked on Saturday by a Canadian goose that was apparently aggressively defending its territory on or near a walking path.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos to you for getting out to watch the sun come up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...I hope that you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The ground cover is so delicate and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful captures all and a sure funny sign on the socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was that or another one, which I might yet go buy.

      Delete
  10. Early morning is such a peaceful time of day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always am so thrilled with the first signs of springtime colors. The new greens, the new flowers, and returns of different birds! Sorry you were sick, and hope you're better now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those socks are funny. I'm glad you are getting better now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love what you find on your walk

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have photographed scillia, but I didn’t get around to it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice collection of photos. The socks made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad to see spring in your world. You've had such a long, hard winter. I should get those socks for Rick. He has a doozie right now. I'm glad yours is finally easing up. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the socks! The first light of day is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful pictures

    Great socks! Apt words as lots of folks describe the cold that's going around as one of the worse they've had.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me fascina las fotos del amanecer, siempre hay una luz extraordinaria.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looking like spring and your photos are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a nice street you live in and I like the building with the clock on the corner. The socks crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The socks are great, always good to have a giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Always great night shots and fun socks ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  24. A very nice series of odds and ends photos.

    ReplyDelete