Monday, August 21, 2023

Skunk

 This fine fellow in a display case is a familiar sight to many- even if you've never seen one out and about- the skunk.


Another animal with its own defenses is nearby- the porcupine.


Some small dioramas are across from them. Here we have the Arctic Ground Squirrel.


This is the Eastern Grey Squirrel. The background setting is familiar to me- its source is from the parkway lookouts in Gatineau Park.


Mammals communicate with their own and with other mammals in different ways. This can include mutual aggression.


This is the pika, a resident of the tundra.


And here we have a mother cougar watching over cubs, who are stalking a vole.

42 comments:

  1. I have never seen a skunk, but I know they have a bad reputation smell-wise. Shame really because in your first photo, the little fellow looks like a real cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see skunks from time to time, but have never had a bad experience.

      Delete
  2. The Pika, will have to read up on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a pika but didn't know what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vivid live display of these exotic animals

    ReplyDelete
  5. No recuerdo si he visto una mofeta. La mayoría de esos animales los he visto en el zoológico.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last porcupine I saw was dead at the side of Highway 416 heading up to Ottawa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great critter exhibit. Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...they are little spinkers and I only see porcupines along the road.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long time since I've seen a porcupine.

      Delete
  9. Love that first shot. A creature I hope never to be that close to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been probably three or four meters from them. I see them the odd time.

      Delete
  10. The grey squirrel and the pika are new to me, but I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I try to avoid seeing a skunk. Have had some bad experiences with dogs & skunks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dog once got sprayed by a skunk and did he stink. It took days and many washings to get rid of the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well preserved critters ~


    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have never seen a skunk for real!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great exhibit, very enjoyable. Thanks William!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely have seen a skunk and I've seen more dead by the roadside but in real life tread very carefully!

    ReplyDelete