Monday, March 10, 2014

Random Winterness

Yes, winterness is a word. Now.

This was taken back in December. St. Patrick's is a Catholic church downtown. The north side is illuminated by the reflection of sunlight from an office tower.


Jeanne D'Arc Court is one of the warren of courtyards down in the Byward Market. I've shown you some of the nearby courtyards in warmer weather. 


A dancing bear sculpture is at the heart of this courtyard.


A bear you've seen before on Sparks Street. This time of year though he has a coating of snow. The War Memorial and the Chateau Laurier lie beyond. The Memorial is having work done on the surrounding grounds at present, hence the grey scaffolding at the sidewalk, surrounding the site.


I took this shot of the Chateau on a late afternoon, with the last of the sun just touching the upper reaches of the hotel.


While down in the Glebe, these park benches along the street are presently buried under snow.


I started yesterday with a sunset. I'll finish today with another, taken on Saturday evening, at the north terminus station of the O-Train line.





28 comments:

  1. Lovely photos...wow, those park benches really are buried!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous sunset, love the bears! Jeanne d'Arc instead of Joan of Arc?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it doesn't get any better than a dancing bear !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winterness...like it..the word ,not the the season.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete

  5. I enjoyed this quick tour this morning. The dancing bear in the snow made me feel happy too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks plenty cold. :) like the bear catching fish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great and yes it does look pretty cold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was about to say that you have way too much snow but, I guess you already know that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Linda: that'll change soon!

    @Ciel: yes, they use the French version of the name for the court.

    @Stuart: it's such a whimsical sculpture.

    @Tanya: thank you!

    @Jane and Chris: it's the best season!

    @EG: it looks happy!

    @Tex: we've had a good long, cold winter.

    @Luis: just the way I like it!

    @Norma: I'll assume that's the dancing bear, right?

    @Sharon: one can never have too much snow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some beautiful buildings in your city. Love the dancing bear, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another interesting series of you beautiful town, Willam!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ottawa is very pretty with the snow! Love all the sculptures with the light snow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your title is grand! And fun. As are the photos. Some great light in them. Snow pictures I love to look at from a distance of say, oh, 1500 miles? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That laneway (#2) has a nice clear path for walking at least, even if the rest of the courtyard is piled with snow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Cheryl: I'll have to photograph that one again in the summer.

    @Karl: thank you!

    @RedPat: thanks!

    @Inna: that's what drew my eyes. I'll have to go inside sometime.

    @Halcyon: I've got enough snow pics that I'll be going into April...

    @Mo: thanks!

    @Lowell: but snow is fun!

    @Hamilton: it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to shovel the entire courtyard, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely sunset. I like how the snow looks like a scarf on the bear. It's been a cold winter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That shot of St. Patrick's is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great shots! The hotel is particularly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh that dancing bear sculpture - I'd love to see it on a winter's stroll. I love that church steeple against the sky!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Winterness...well, I'm ready for some Springness. Beautiful shots! What a funny bear.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the light in these. It's that cool crisp clear light you only get in winter. Makes braving the cold air and slushy snow worthwhile for the captures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lots of snow still. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been inside that church! It's lovely.

    Don't recall ever seeing the dancing bear though.

    ReplyDelete