Sunday, June 22, 2014

Churches On Cathedral Hill

I have shown you St. Peter's Lutheran Church during my series on the Tulip Festival. It is one of two churches here on Cathedral Hill, on the west side of the downtown core. This present incarnation of the church dates back to 1952, but there was a previous location elsewhere downtown. It's designed in the English Gothic style, and features a Casavant organ inside.


For whatever reason, shots of the sanctuary itself didn't come out properly, but these stained glass windows worked. The first is one of several inside, depicting Biblical scenes.


The second features historical figures from the Lutheran church in Canada, as well as landmarks and references to Lutheran work done here.


And this last window is dedicated to music; Martin Luther is flanked by the composers George Handel and Johann Sebastian Bach, both of whom composed extensive sacred music. Luther is surrounded by key aspects of his own history, while Bach and Handel have elements of music incorporated into the glass around them.



The neighbouring church on the hill is Christ Church Cathedral, an Anglican congregation. The current church dates back to the 1870s, though the congregation's roots stretch back to 1832. 


It's also in the English Gothic style.


The high altar inside the sanctuary is impressive.


More from inside Christ Church tomorrow. I'm linking this today to Inspired Sunday. Click on that link for other blogs posting places of religious significance.




34 comments:

  1. Both gorgeous structures! I don't know about the Lutheran Church in Canada, but in the US, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the Protestant Episcopal Church are in a union so as one pastor/priest can serve in either body. A step in the right direction, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the windows are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, all sorts of churches this week. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting stained glass windows there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a rather nice collection of stained glass and I love the wooden ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never even seen a Lutheran church here, much less been inside one. I find the stained glass windows very interesting, aside from being beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stained glass window ARE tricky! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carolyn is Lutheran, and I've been in her church many times. It's beautiful...as is this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I rather like the music themed window.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Linda: I am glad those shots inside St. Peters worked.

    @Lowell: I have no idea if that would be the case here.

    @Gunn: those who design such windows do great work.

    @Beth: and more to come!

    @Furry Gnome: thanks!

    @Ciel: so did I!

    @Hilda: I went into two Lutheran churches this time out.

    @Jennifer: they are a challenge to photograph.

    @Norma: thank you!

    @Jane and Chris: so did I!

    ReplyDelete
  11. THose stained glass windows are really beautiful. Thanks for the information on the "content" as well. It's nice to know the story behind the beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stained glass always get my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the photos of the stained glass in St. Peter's Lutheran Church.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of course the stained glass is beautiful but what I liked was the old gothic style mixed amidst the modern. Love the old. MB

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely stained glass and what a beautiful spire in that 2nd one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those stained glass windows in the first church are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Tex: and more of that yet to come!

    @Halcyon: you're welcome!

    @VP: mine as well.

    @Jan: thank you!

    @MB: it's a nice contrast.

    @Luis: thank you!

    @RedPat: It really does stand out.

    @Sharon: I was pleased those turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm an admirer of stained glass windows. These are beautiful, William.

    ReplyDelete
  19. At least I can recognize these musicians' names. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely! I don't follow churches much but I don't think I've seen an Anglican church on the West Coast; I wonder if this is the roots of our Episcopalian.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful. Yes, Kay, the Episcopal Church in the United States is the Anglican Church in this country. I would have to refer back to my history books as to why the changed the name here.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the stained glass! I'd never have thought of Luther, Handel and Bach being subjects in it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Marleen: I thought so myself.

    @Revrunner: if you didn't, I'd have to wonder!

    @Kay: yes, they're one and the same. I used to wonder what an Episcopalian was, since the term's not used in Canada.

    @Mari: I figured you'd appreciate this one!

    @Cheryl: it's quite well designed in bringing them together.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a beautiful church, and I love the stained glass windows.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like the look of the old Anglican church in amongst the more modern highrises.

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Al: so did I.

    @EG: it contrasts nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your stained glass window shots turned out wonderfully. I love the stonework in those churches. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Both are fantastic and beautiful buildings. Even the one build in 1952 looks much older. Very nice photos William.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful windows! Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great stained glass window series!

    ReplyDelete
  31. @Sally: thank you!

    @Pat: I must photograph the original St. Peter's.

    @Tom: thank you!

    @Jose: thanks!

    ReplyDelete