Monday, April 1, 2019

City Daily Photo Theme Day: Yellow

The first day of each month is a theme day for members of City Daily Photo. For April, that theme is Yellow, and you can see how others are interpreting the theme right here.

My first takes were from February and Winterlude, the annual celebration of winter in the national capital region. Over on the Gatineau side of the Ottawa River, Jacques Cartier Park is turned into a winter playground. Yet there was colour to be found, such as this oversized Muskoka chair.


Nearby is playground equipment, and the yellow of this tunnel fit the theme.


Here in Ottawa, an area around the Byward Market and beyond is designated the Arts, Fashion, and Theatre District, thanks to some of each present in the area. Utility boxes here have colourful, dazzling fashion designs on them. This one, with yellow accents, is among their number.


Down at Lansdowne Park in the Glebe, the Aberdeen Pavilion stands. This exhibition hall is nicknamed the Cattle Castle, which refers to its time as quarters for the old Central Canadian Exhibition agricultural shows. It dates to 1898, and is the last surviving Canadian example of the Victorian exhibition hall style. This first take, from the south side, shows the cream walls of the building bathed in morning sunlight.


These shots, taken some days later, were in afternoon light. Here we have the west side.


The Cattle Castle nickname can be seen in the odd sculpture atop that pole.


Here we see the southwest corner.


And this is the view on the east side. The building is extensively used for events, including a farmers market each week.


I finish with two shots from the Canada Aviation And Space Museum. I am in the midst of doing a series on the national museum, which I'll be continuing with tomorrow. One of the artifacts in this place is this Boeing Vertol CH-113 Labrador helicopter. The Canadian military has used these for search and rescue. This one was presented to the Museum in 2004 by the Canadian Forces.

52 comments:

  1. You found wonderful splashes of yellow for today's theme. That yellow chair is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found a good assortment of yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yellow, the color of jealousy ... :))
    Sometimes I'm even jealous of your beautiful photos!
    I wish you a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always associate yellow with Spring with the swathes of daffodils and the forsythia in full bloom. Consequently I enjoyed this post full of that joyous colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The yellow seat certainly brightens up the snowy scene.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super yellow. Mine is a little more subtle!

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  8. now that is a cool yellow. way awesome. love it!! have a great week!! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...great yellow collection on this April Fools Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure it was all mellow, but it was all yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, happy April! Great images for the theme. I like that big yellow chair. The helicopter is awesome. Happy Monday, enjoy your day! Wishing you a great new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done, William, you've presented a nice collection of yellows.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Belos olhares no tom amarelo em fotos belíssimas
    Um abraço

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice yellow theme. I like the oversized chair. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the theme. Yellow is a cheerful color.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent choices (well documented too) in yellow! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The old exhibition hall must be full of good memories about farming.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice photos, the yellow helicopter stands out with the richest yellow hue.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lots of wonderful, cheerful yellow but that opening Adirondack chair wins my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Kay: thanks!

    @Sharon: this one was relatively easy. I'm wary of the Orange theme later in the year.

    @Iris: quite so!

    @Joan: so do I.

    @Ella: thank you.

    @Fun60: thanks!

    @Italiafinlandia: I thought so!

    @Rosemary: it certainly does.

    @Francisco: thank you.

    @Janis: I'll look for it.

    @Marianne: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Beth: thank you.

    @Tom: I had no shortage of yellow.

    @Anvilcloud: very yellow!

    @Eileen: thank you!

    @Jan: thanks!

    @Gracita: thank you.

    @DJan: I do as well.

    @Janey: quite a colour.

    @Barbara: thanks!

    @Red: it's quite a building.

    @Maywyn: it really does.

    @Jeanie: it's quite a chair.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great photos for the theme!
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A fine selection of yellow images for the theme William, the Aberdeen Pavilion is fabulous ✨

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great shots for the theme! I love that chair.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful and creative 'yellow' photos!

    Happy Days to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  26. You got some great choices for the theme, William. I love the helicopter.

    ReplyDelete
  27. All are great great for the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You found some good subjects for the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Lea: thank you!

    @Grace: it's quite a building.

    @Marie: I enjoyed this theme.

    @Lois: I'm a sucker for a Muskoka chair, but this one is too big to fit on a porch!

    @Carol: thanks!

    @Peter: thank you.

    @Bill: it's quite a formidable aircraft.

    @RedPat: I certainly did think so.

    @Jenny: this one came fairly easy for me.

    @MB: so do I.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I always get a kick out of those big chairs. We have one in town in front of Annie's Kitchen, a little restaurant in town. People are always stopping to take picture of it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Each photo better than the last!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderful wonderful wonderful post. I want the big yellow chair !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yellow is a cheerful color! Uh, did I see a flying cow?

    ReplyDelete
  34. The bench looks very inviting for a little rest !

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow - lots of yellow in your neck of the woods! I do love the sunny yellow chair in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  36. @Happyone: you find them in the odd place here. I remember a town in our cottage country area called Gravenhurst, which has one.

    @Cloudia: thank you!

    @Parsnip: thanks!

    @Catarina: thank you!

    @Linda: almost flying!

    @Gattina: well, it's quite a high one to sit on!

    @Susie: yes, this was a theme I had no problem with. I'll have to be keeping an eye out for other themes later in the year. The Orange one and Rainbow one might be problematic!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a coincidence, yellow!
    I usually put ribbons on my fence, this month it should be yellow, but I had to throw them out this year. I must go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a great selection of yellow here … perfect for the theme.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  39. The Cattle Castle...we have a building nearby called the Cow Palace. I am not sure which sounds better lol!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Nice findings. Picture with the yellow chair is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete