Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Fighter Jets With Some Odd Names

Returning to the formal part of my series on the Canada Aviation And Space Museum, I have more of a military theme today. The CF-188B Hornet is a product of McDonnell Douglas. The US military initiated a new fighter program in the early 1970s, and Canada put in an order for these fighters as well, also designated the CF-18B. This one is the first of the line produced for the Canadian Forces. It started operational service for the Canadian Forces in 1982 and ended its career with a landing here at the Rockcliffe Airport in 2001 to join the Museum collection. It seems that an arresting device was used to allow the fighter to land on the short runway, which is usually used by small aircraft like Cessnas.


The Hornet is positioned beside something else, a part of Canadian history.


The Avro Arrow project was a program of the 1950s, ultimately scrapped. In 1952 the government called for a Canadian designed supersonic interceptor. The design that came out was the Arrow, an aerodynamic wonder first unveiled in 1957. Five models were built and tested- and then a new government, the Diefenbaker government, cancelled the entire initiative. The completed aircraft were destroyed, with only surviving elements here and there, such as this nose section, still on display.


On its other side is the Lockheed CF-104 Starfighter. An American fighter that was only used briefly in the United States, this modified version saw more use in the Canadian military. This one has been in the Museum collection since 1968.


Vertical take off and landing (VTOL) is a military term for planes that can take off like a helicopter. Driven by concerns that long runways were vulnerable to attack, the concept of these planes drove the creation of the Hawker Siddeley Harrier, a versatile combat jet. This one was flown by two United States Marine Corps attack squadrons from the 1970s into the 1980s.


Today I leave off with one more fighter jet. The McDonnell CF-101B Voodoo is part of a NATO fighter development program that started in the 1950s and were in service until 1984. A variant of this one, the 101F, is on display over at the War Museum, mounted high above Lebreton Gallery.

30 comments:

  1. To destroy a completed thing is quite drastic! I like the Lockheed CF-104 Starfighter, so shiny.
    And I've never heard of VTOL - interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beauties that are well preserved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sleek fighting machines for their time, so very different from present day fighting planes. Well shown here William ✨

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great commentary. Either you already knew a lot, or learned a lot!

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...you can see how the Avro Arrow got its name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating history. I also see why the Arrow was so named. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember the Starfighter being our fighter in the 60's and 70's. It's still a beauty.
    Nowadays we have the F-16 and in the end of this year we will have the first two F-35's.
    This week and next week we have a big international exercise 'Frisian Flag' at airbase Leeuwarden with in total 50 fighter planes from other NATO countries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm surprised that the modern jet fighters began use in the 1950's. I was old enough to remember the Avro Arrow mess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it is kind of like a refrigerator (oh my goodness, i just learned something about a short version of a word i have been using for years, can mean something totally different, nuts, that is nuts. don't think i will use that again ever.), i would be needed to polish (many it is just my Dad in me that he always is waxing his tractors and other stuff, keeping it sip-shined, looking like it has never been used?) that to make it shine. why i don't have that color appliances. would drive me bonkers. lol!! whatever makes u happy. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen many of these planes when I went to air shows with my sons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Iris: VTOL is a concept I'd previously been familiar with.

    @Nancy: they are well taken care of.

    @Grace: thank you!

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Janis: I've already known quite a bit aside from my visit here about aviation.

    @Tom: it's a good name for the plane.

    @DJan: there's a lot of history in these planes.

    @Lady Fi: I think so!

    @RedPat: it could have been so different.

    @Jan: the F-35 has taken forever for development.

    @Red: the Arrow debacle was quite a mess.

    @Beth: thank you.

    @Shammickite: I haven't been to an air show in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many, many years ago I remember watching those CF-188B fighter jets doing touch downs at an old airfield in rural Arizona. That was back when we had two big air bases in the valley.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The air show held every few years here highlights some of these aircraft.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The planes are well preserved. Their history is quite interesting and I thank you for showing us this along with all the info. Well done, William!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You must take good notes on your visits! I'm not always great at that and find myself looking things up later! Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super looking fighter planes. Why destroy the whole plane I wonder.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi There, Thanks for visiting my blog.... I got lost in the TULIPS in your header... WOW..... Just absolutely awesome....

    Interesting Aviation museum.... As you said, there's a lot of HISTORY there.

    Betsy from Tennessee

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Sharon: these days here we tend to see military planes in the air involved in flyovers. While a lot of military staff are here, the nearest bases are a couple of hours away.

    @Marie: they're incredible to see up in the air.

    @Bill: You're welcome.

    @Jeanie: I tend to photograph display panels, which helps, but it also helps tremendously that the museum provides maps with location markers on each plane, which I held onto, so in those odd cases where I didn't photograph a display, I can still identify the plane and go to the website for any additional details.

    @MB: it was quite a complicated decision, and a very controversial one.

    @Betsy: I've seen your name here and there on various blogs, so I figured I'd look you up.

    @Sandi: I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Starfighter was one very cool design.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You do a lot of good research to present so much information. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. William - before retirement, I worked in the aviation industry, so I read this post with great interest. I do miss the wonder of the technology in these spectacular aircraft!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So much more sophisticated aircrafts and love the names ~ great shots!

    Happy Days to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fascinating William, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. History is great. Thank you William. They are some smart designs. My dad used to work repairing them. He was in world war two.
    He worked back then in Toronto. How are you doing. I am back to being stronger since my two replacement of knees. Unfortunalley my Surgeon was killed . A Rig Jackknifed him. He was so young. Like 49.I am back in my blog. My site is now. Peace,Serenity & Contenment. On the news this winter Ottawa had some problems.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Revrunner: I think so.

    @Kay: you're welcome.

    @Angie: thank you.

    @Carol: me too.

    @Jennifer: if they'd let me!

    @Jan: you're welcome.

    @Carol: thanks.

    ReplyDelete