Friday, April 26, 2019

Museum Tales

Continuing today with the panels around this spot in the Museum of Nature, which cover the history and architecture of the building. For those few years while Centre Block was being rebuilt after the 1916 fire, Parliament met in this building. Wilfred Laurier, whose time as Prime Minister had ended in an election several years earlier and had continued as Liberal leader, nonetheless had the right to a state funeral, and his body laid in state in the Museum after his death.


A look up takes in La Meduse again, this time from below.


The glass tower, called the Queens Lantern, honours two queens, Victoria and Elizabeth. The latter re-dedicated the museum during a visit in 2010. Upon her departure with Prince Philip, the motorcade went up Metcalfe and past me, so I can honestly say that I've seen the Queen with my own eyes.


Of course there are ghost stories to be found with a building like this.


Here we have a view looking down to the lower level. The plaque re-dedicating the museum is down there to the left of the windows.


And a view inside the atrium looking up.


The next gallery is still on this level, the Bird Gallery. The collection is in the larger space away from the entrance, but this first area includes educational activities and a few live specimens of insects and other creepy crawlies.


Obviously this isn't life sized, because if it was, we'd be in trouble. The Hercules beetle is strong for its size, capable of carrying objects much, much heavier than they are.  This sculpture is big enough for you to pose with.


A display of various butterflies is set up against a nearby wall. Tomorrow we'll start looking at some birds.

35 comments:

  1. La Meduse is just beautiful and ghost stories are always "fun", too.
    Insects... not so much. Butterflies, though... beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be interesting to hear some of the ghost stories. Butterflies are nice to look at. The huge insect is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like La Meduse. I too have seen the Queen with my very own as a kid. My parents drove all the way to the city for us to get a glimpse of her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You stirred a memory of me once upon a time writing an essay on Wilfrid Laurier. Beyond having done it, and I'm not even sure about that, I have no recollection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...the La Meduse is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful exhibit! The Hercules beetle is a wonder of nature isn’t it and I’m glad they’re not that size, I would not be able to leave my house lol, the medusa, wow, that’s amazing,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh that Hercules beetle is quite a sight, thank goodness that model isn't life size. Great shots from that museum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you said that beetle wasn't life sized. He's pretty darn scary looking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Iris: after all, butterflies are insects.

    @Nancy: it's quite a formidable beetle.

    @Ella: they're quite a combination.

    @Lady Fi: I agree.

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Joan: it was worth doing so.

    @Anvilcloud: he was an extraordinary leader.

    @Tom: definitely.

    @Laurie: and the Meduse is even bigger!

    @Shammickite: thank you.

    @Barbara: so do I.

    @Sharon: quite so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. La meduse...creepy! William, did you learn French in school? La meduse made me think of it. When I was a kid we lived in Michigan very close to Canada. We used to watch Sesame Street in French.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I had discovered butterflies earlier in my life as the details are amazing. the smallest beautiful detail makes an identification.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The balcony photo feels eerie. And the beetle! Bugs don't bother me, but that one is creepy, beautiful sculpture though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That panel with all these butterflies is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. An interesting selection of exhibits. I bet children love to pose with that huge beetle!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The museum building itself is rather beautiful William, La Meduse impressive looking down on it all. The hauntings are the reason that although I love the architecture of old houses so much I could never live in one 😊

    ReplyDelete
  17. i really enjoy the butterflies. so pretty and vibrant. can u believe how quickly the week flew by ... u blink and gone. so shocking. hope u had a nice one. enjoy this happy weekend!! take care. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  18. The beetle is quite impressive, glad it's not real or we would be in trouble. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello, it is a beautiful museum and exhibits. I love the butterflies. Happy Friday, enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. La Meduse looks wonderful from that angle:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. No matter wha size I wouldn’t want to run into that Hercules Beetle.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Sandi: yes, I took French, but it's become quite rusty due to lack of use.

    @RedPat: definitely.

    @Red: I agree.

    @Maywyn: the real ones are quite a critter.

    @Jan: definitely.

    @John: indeed!

    @Grace: I imagine the security guards must have stories going through there late at night and hearing odd noises.

    @Beth: that happens.

    @Jennifer: thanks!

    @Bill: true!

    @Eileen: thanks!

    @Rosie: it does.

    @Janey: not at this size!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love that last photo! Gorgeous creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely angles to your photos and love Medusa ~

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  25. It really is a beautiful building. (And you've come much closer to royalty than I. The best I can offer is proximity to a statue of Queen Victoria in Victoria.)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your photograph of the view inside the atrium looking up, and those butterflies are a wonderful collection of blue.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  27. The learning opportunities your wonderful City offers are amazing! Beautifully designed building, great light and space and the displays all arranged perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Marie: thanks!

    @Carol: thank you.

    @Kay: I agree.

    @Jan: definitely.

    @Sallie: indeed!

    ReplyDelete