Monday, April 29, 2019

From Land To The Sea

Coming out of the Bird Gallery and back into the entrance area of this space, I mentioned that this has educational areas and some live specimens of insects and other critters in terrariums. Panels at the base explain things about each.


The other critters include things like spiders. This is a Columbian pinkbloom tarantula. Why are they so hairy? Well, they're waterproofing, a barrier to parasites, and sensitive to air movement- something that allows this largely nocturnal spider to detect both prey and predators.


In other cases, the hairs might be a defensive weapon. The Chilean Rose-haired Tarantula can launch a mist of microscopic barbed hairs that can become embedded in the skin of another animal, causing physical irritation.


Another look at stained glass windows, located in the Lantern area on this floor. From here I was heading over to the gallery on the other side.


The Water Gallery has as its centerpiece the preserved skeleton of a blue whale. Specimens, panels, and displays within this area deal with both freshwater and saltwater biosystems.


This display case, for instance, shows models of various whale species.


Birds are often tied to the water, whether that is the sea or freshwater, spending some of their time out on the water. Specimens are in this case.


Another display case features models of fish and a panel that highlights key differences between them.


It's not just the biosystems of water that are explored in this area. The vast topography beneath the oceans of the world is another subject. We know more about space than we do about what's beneath the waves.


This is a 3D model of Barkley Canyon, along Canada's west coast. It is above the Juan de Fuca tectonic plate descending beneath western North America, and descends to 2000 metres deep. For comparison, the accompanying panel notes that the CN Tower is 553 metres in height. I'll pick up here tomorrow to close out the month.

42 comments:

  1. Some of these critters make me cringe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure made me laugh a bit.
    I have to say: Thank you for the explanation of why the tarantula is so hairy. Yet I had to scroll real fast to not catch a closer look.
    Brrrr. Anything with more than four legs gives me the creep!
    The colorful windows were a nice view to that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spider is scary. I must prefer and interested in birds and fishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always fun for children to see live creepie-crawlies - children of all ages that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A funny sort of existence for a spider. Interesting nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blue whale skeleton is so impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating and horrifying at the same time William, the tarantula gave me the creeps 😀

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...I agree with Grace, the tarantula will never be a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love teaching and learning about biosystems! (although I am far from expert).
    What a great exhibit.

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like those stained glass windows.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, I would love to see these exhibits. That tarantula is creepy, but neat. Love the stained glass windows. Happy Monday, enjoy your day! Wishing you a great new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can’t get past the tarantula.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful amazing exhibits! The whale skeleton is wonderful! The stain glass is lovely as well, I haven’t heard of that tarantula, the barb throwing is interesting, great place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those tarantulas are huge! And very hairy. I enjoyed seeing them behind a barrier, that's for sure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Many of these critters we are not familiar with as they are difficult to see and are in more remote areas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Linda: spiders have that effect.

    @Iris: I had wondered for some time about the hair on tarantulas. The explanation makes sense.

    @Nancy: the spiders fascinated me.

    @David: that is true.

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @John: you wonder what they think of the enclosures.

    @Italiafinlandia: it is indeed.

    @Grace: the itsy bitsy spider...

    @Tom: I'm fascinated by them.

    @Janis: thank you!

    @Anvilcloud: so do I.

    @Eileen: thank you!

    @Marie: aren't they cute?

    @Laurie: it's a good defense measure.

    @DJan: the glass no doubt helps.

    @RedPat: it certainly is.

    @Red: that's true.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As if spiders weren't scary enough, you had to tell me about ones that launch tiny little hairs into the skin. Yikes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The fish and whales are most impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is s such a beautiful and interesting nature center. I can see I'd spend a lot of time there reading the exhibit facts. You did a nice job highlighting many of them. The tarantula was interesting to see close up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always think seeing a blue whale skeleton up close is so daunting. Graceful creatures for their size

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute little whales! microscopic barbed hairs, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the blue whale skeleton, it's amazing. The tarantula is one scary creature.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm sure my kids have been there. They love insects!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A part of my childhood was spent with tarantulas. That explains a lot, I think. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'll just leave a long scream here. That spider!

    Aaaaaaaaiiiieeee....

    ReplyDelete
  26. gorgeous stain glass. have a nice week. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  27. Another lovely museum ~ wow!

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Have to say the stained glass windows are lovely, so colourful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  29. So many interesting things to learn.
    The stain glass windows are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those spiders are a little too big and hairy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  31. @Sharon: aren't they tricky?

    @Jeanie: I think so!

    @Pat: I find both of them fascinating.

    @Michelle: they are incredible animals.

    @Cloudia: a creative defense.

    @Bill: thank you!

    @Jennifer: You'd enjoy the museum.

    @Revrunner: it no doubt would.

    @Sandi: but they're just oversized spiders!

    @Beth: thank you.

    @Carol: it's a beautiful one.

    @Jan: thank you.

    @Happyone: they are.

    @Jan: they just want a hug! :)

    @MB: I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I tend to avoid any insect that's big enough to cast a shadow.
    We know so little about what's beneath the surface of our oceans.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fascinating description for the Columbian inkbloom tarantula, and another interesting post. Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great photos, although I did skip by the spiders pretty quickly:)

    ReplyDelete