Sunday, December 1, 2013

City Daily Photo Theme Day: Looking Out

The first of each month is a theme day for City Daily Photo bloggers, in which bloggers from across the world participate in a common theme. For the first of December, the theme is Looking Out. You can find other examples right here. For me, this was an easy choice: I went into the Ottawa Convention Centre, right downtown along the Rideau Canal.


The Convention Centre is four stories of rooms, halls, promenades, and a huge glass wall overlooking the Canal, giving grand views towards Parliament Hill, the Chateau Laurier, the Government Conference Centre, the National Arts Centre, and much more. 


The NAC is right across the Canal from here, a product of Sixties architecture where our national orchestra is one of the residential groups on the site. The Convention Centre replaced the old Congress Centre at this location several years ago, and the glass wall outlook from all four levels makes it a spectacular building, much more engaged with the city around it than its predecessor.


There are conventions held here throughout the year, often using the various halls and rooms inside, but sometimes spilling out onto the promenades. For a local, however, there are often plenty of chances to get inside and take some pics, particularly in mid-week. The view is more than worth it.


I'll have more from here tomorrow, and periodically I'll be back here to photograph again. The view is stellar in many seasons.


25 comments:

  1. What a view... Brilliant !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some spectacular views indeed !

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great view!!
    Nice choices for the theme day image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many scenes when "looking out" from this building!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my favorite is the fourth photo. The dining area in the foreground and the magnificent building outside give an sense of scale and make the scene truly spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Parsnip: thank you!

    @Stuart: they certainly are.

    @Gunn: this one came very easy to me.

    @Kate: the architects did great coming up with this design.

    @Inna: thank you.

    @Nathalie: the Chateau Laurier is gorgeous in so many ways, and it really shines in that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I like the fourth one best, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking out--indeed. great shots.
    We are back from where ever and the computer is working. So far all is good. MB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Each photograph has the perfect framing from within. I especially like the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I particularly like that last pic too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Norma: thank you!

    @Small City: thanks!

    @LOL: there's such a rich amount of photo ops inside and outside this building.

    @RedPat: thanks!

    @EG: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like these type of photos and yours a good - very good. I particularly like hte last one with the church steeple? framed in the triangle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did find an excellent place to "look out". I especially like that last photo with the sun in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous looking out! I love the light and the angular lines in that last one:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The curved glass wall offers so many choices. I look forward to what else you can find!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm no photographer - which is why I understand that it's difficult to get shots like this to work. Yours did. The final one was particularly attractive, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Mari: it really is.

    @Blossom: thank you! That's the Peace Tower on Parliament Hill. I think there's a church spire visible from the third or fourth promenades, but it's in another direction. I'll check the next time I'm in there.

    @Sharon: thanks!

    @LondonLulu: that one seems to be drawing quite a bit of attention!

    @Hamilton: I'll have to come back in here when there are skaters on the canal...

    @Jim: thank you.

    @Mike: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good choice for the theme, so many beautiful views!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I now realize I have been to that convention center for…a professional meeting, a very small convention! We were away in the basement, no windows to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now I want to go to the Convention Centre because the view is great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Karl: thank you!

    @Merry: ah, one of the smaller rooms no doubt!

    @Ciel: there was a wine and food show here a few days back. It was packed.

    ReplyDelete