Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Arboretum Walk And Winter Drydocking The Boat

It's odd looking at pictures of grass when we're buried in snow.

These shots were taken in the arboretum in early November. The first is from the high ground overlooking Dow's Lake. Most of the fall colours were gone by this point, but not quite all of them.


On the way through to the university, there's an offshoot creek that feeds into the Rideau Canal. It's crossed by two pedestrian bridges. This is the newest of them.


Among the many varieties of trees here are ones that have berries late into the season, such as these red ones. 


Over at Hartwell Locks, here we have the setup for the winter. The water is drained out from the upper locks, aside from a small stream from beyond the locks.


And this boat is drydocked in one of these empty locks for the winter. Come April, it'll be time to get it floating for another season.


Heads up: I've got something a bit off the wall and racy for tomorrow. Those of a Puritan bent or members of the Sisters Of Little Or No Mercy might want to skip to Friday. 

19 comments:

  1. Oh now I can't wait for tomorrow although I do like those berries and that bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty fall scenery! do you have a lot of snow? we still haven't had any...a couple of rounds of ice and it doesn't appear that we'll have a white christmas either :( anxious to see what you have in store tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is certainly pretty park area and I bet it's pretty covered in snow too. I'll be back tomorrow, in fact, I can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a lovely place to take a stroll....

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ciel: I'll have to photograph that bridge again in other seasons. I pass over it most days.

    @Tanya: we've got a good dose of snow, and it seems to be staying. White Christmas seems assured here.

    @Sharon: it certainly is lovely in the snow.

    @Norma: it really is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet it looks gorgeous even now in snow! Love the berries but looking forward to tomorrow as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good like always. I think You have try some software to correct contrast. Your pictures will be much better. Greets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder how you get to leave your boat in the canal?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried getting a few photos of boats in dry dock, but they were all covered with white tarps (?). Must practice photographing white.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a pretty setting. I love the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @LondonLulu: it is a very appealing place in winter!

    @Inna: I'm thinking of experimenting with some of the settings on the mobile.

    @RedPat: they must have to pay for it..

    @Hamilton: Maybe something in late day light would do the trick?

    @Krisztina: this is one of those bridges that actually enhances its surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well you certainly peaked my interest for you upcoming post. I am a big fan of that bridge (or bridges in general).

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bridge strongly invites one to cross over.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pictures! Thanks for the comment. Salutes from Argentina!

    ReplyDelete