Monday, December 2, 2013

Woodcarving And Promenades



Coming into the Ottawa Convention Centre's main entrance at street level, this carving happens to be present, on temporary display. This sculpture is carved from a massive oak tree that was cut down some years ago, having been dead for some years. The tree stood near the Rideau River in Old Ottawa South, and was dated at around three hundred years old. This is the second sculpture the carver has carved from the wood.


Escalators and elevators take one up from one promenade to another. The rooms and halls are on the east side, and range in size from sufficient for a small wedding reception to the size of an aircraft hanger.


Canada Hall is that large room in question, a vast space that can be subdivided into smaller rooms. This set of doors is one of the entrances, etched with buildings from the area, such as the National Gallery in this case.


As mentioned before, conventions tend to make use of the promenades too, but I had no problems taking shots on this one.


The construction process was a long one, but the end product was well worth it.


It's one of my favourite buildings in the city, and a pleasure to walk through. We'll return here again from time to time.


15 comments:

  1. Lots of nice shots "looking in" today. I especially like that wooden sculpture. Glad to hear the old tree didn't die in vain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wooden sculpture is nice. And the space on the second shot. Nice place. Nice photos. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the carved sculpture very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting sculpture, even though I don't know what it represents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Stuart: I knew that tree quite well. I lived a couple of blocks from the river back then.

    @Angelika: thank you!

    @Inna: thanks!

    @EG: I'll have to photograph the first sculpture sometime.

    @Karl: neither do I... I should have paid attention to the nearby sign...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can tell that you have a feeling of affection for this building. VERY interesting sculpture in the top photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool series! Love the windows and the sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's an amazing piece of artwork that sculpture. Thanks for the info re the Peace Tower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the one of the wood sculpture best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Kate: one of these days I'm going to have to show something local that I don't like...

    @RedPat: that seems to be the consensus!

    @Linda: thank you!

    @Blossom: you're welcome!

    @Norma: yes, it's definitely a consensus!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting story about the tree. There is so much in Ottawa to like!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure about the tree carving, but I guess it 'spoke' to the sculptor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Merry: thank you!

    @Hamilton: I'll have to photograph the other sculpture. It's at Carleton...

    ReplyDelete