Friday, December 13, 2013

Lansdowne Progress

I've shown you the work going on here before. So I returned not too long ago for an update.


Work at Lansdowne Park continues at full steam. The stadium and the outlying buildings are being worked on. And the pack of developers who will reap the benefits of having public lands at their disposal for the next few decades continue to rub their hands in glee. As mentioned before, I'm not a fan of these developers, let alone what they're doing to the park.

The wooden structures you're seeing below will be the ribs for a large curved screen that will form on this side of the south side stands. All so that this group of wankers... I mean, developers can have their football team. Named the Redblacks. Yes, apparently they love the name.

All while those of us who love living in this city and dislike this project grind our teeth...


I prefer, when crossing the Bank Street Bridge over the Canal, to look at the other side from Lansdowne. The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons is a much more visually appealing structure. The Canal itself, when I took this shot in mid November, was well on the way to icing over. In my next post, I'll show you a more recent shot of what the ice looks like.


21 comments:

  1. I miss Canada! :)
    Can't wait to see the ice. I regret that I never got to skate the canals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get me started on developers please. They are building a monstrosity just under my nose (and I mean under my nose). Can't wait to see the frozen canal, it looked lovely when you took this photo with a very nice building in the background.

    Did you know that the main rugby stadium in Dublin is called Lansdowne Rd? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I hear you William.. seems like we all have these wankers.. I mean developers in our midst.. not to mention the dodgy politicians, that's a whole other story :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we are on the same page when it comes to developers on public land, William.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not being a fan of sports, this seems like a colossal waste of perfectly good land to me. And the stadium will only benefit a certain number of the populace, unlike a park area for example.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ugh, developers...they won't be happy till every square inch is developed...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks a bit chilly to be working outdoors,tho.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you all the way on this one, the last photo is preferable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Halcyon: I'll be taking plenty of ice shots over the winter....

    @Ciel: I didn't know that, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a connection to the man the park was named after, a Lord Lansdowne.

    @Grace: they're everywhere.

    @EG: developers tend to be sleaze...

    @Beatrice: it is a waste of land.

    @Tanya: they really won't be...

    @Kate: they're on a schedule.

    @Sharon: I've got to take some pics of the building sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Developers are the same everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to see the ice picture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep. It's a universal story. The relationship between the developers and the politicians is not terribly hidden, yet the news media don't seem to be too interested in reporting on it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The media I read write about this sort of thing all the time, but the developers and politicians are pretty thick skinned.
    And what does Redblacks mean anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember the icy, snow photos from last year.
    I am looking forward to seeing this years.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  15. @RedPat: they treat zoning bylaws as "suggestions."

    @Cheryl: it'll be up soon!

    @Stuart: and then there are some media that are right in the pocket of the developers. There's an embarrassing excuse for a newspaper here that is practically the public relations department for this consortium. Never one word out of them that's remotely critical.

    @Mari: that sums it up.

    @Hamilton: I have no idea, but the brain trust of morons at OSEG honestly believe it's brilliant.

    @Parsnip: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Did not know about the Lansdowne project. Wankers…I mean developers… LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Remember when Dick Cheney called the million plus people who marched in NYC to protest the inevitable Iraq war, a "focus group"?
    A small cadre of drivers here treat STOP signs as "suggestions".
    Don't get me started! : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Grind your teeth--YES.
    Developers stole our land and caused my late husbands early demise--I think.
    MaryBeth

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Merry: ah, politics...

    @Norma: yes you were!

    @MB: they're just plain greedy.

    ReplyDelete