Thursday, December 19, 2013

Not Exactly Your Grandmother's Christmas Carol

Wicked Wanda's is an adult emporium in Ottawa, catering to the kinky and erotic side of life. The store display windows lean towards the fetish side of things, and have a wonderfully naughty and twisted sense of humour to them. While the prudish might gasp in shock, and Sister Mary Margaret might tut-tut in disapproval (whilst secretly being curious), the shop carries on. 

This time of year, they have several dioramas in one window, using Barbie dolls in very creative ways in a series based on Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. Photographing them was a bit of a challenge; I ended up reflected in the glass. 

Christmas Past is conventional, reflecting the literary roots of the story...


But Christmas Present is not at all conventional, reflecting the store inside...


And Christmas Future turns that up a notch. Barbie gets lucky indeed. So does Ken (assuming that is supposed to be Ken). Though seriously, the dude's missing some vital pieces to his anatomy...


25 comments:

  1. This is for the after midnight window shoppers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I don't think I'll ever look at Barbie dolls quite the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i've been wondering what you would surprise us with today! what a fun post and creative displays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've mentioned this place several times over the years. It's exactly what I pictured!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is hilarious!! Growing up in Oklahoma with overly-conservative prudes with no sense of humor, who would never allow such a shop to see the light of day, I have a big appreciation for places like this in other parts of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is certainly a new twist on an old story. But, I am glad to see Barbie prevail. Very creative window display.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Hamilton: very much so!

    @Halcyon: neither will anyone else!

    @Ciel: poor guy. He'll have to make do with the prosthetics around him...

    @Abe: what's he to do?

    @Tanya: thanks!

    @Norma: it's quite eye catching!

    @Krisztina: Oklahoma needs to learn how to relax!

    @Sharon: It really is. Last Christmas in my writer's blog I did a different kind of twist on Dickens... in which my Scrooge stand in didn't learn a thing.

    @Stuart: "Santa, is that a candycane in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbie has a secret life I never before suspected.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh too funny. I echo EG's comment. LOL MB

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wondered what Barbie and Ken did when no one was looking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh... :-)
    I've never seen such Christmas show cases here...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is hilarious! I'm so not surprised Barbie and Ken has a secret life:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @EG: makes you wonder what goes on with the rest of her circle of friends, doesn't it?

    @MB: thank you!

    @Krieg: now you know!

    @Karl: I'd wondered what Europeans would have to say about it!

    @Gerald: Dickens must be wondering about this particular adaptation!

    @Cheryl: just right for the occasion!

    @LondonLulu: I told you today's post would be racy!

    @RedPat: it certainly is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is pretty funny. Vulgar? Sure. But funny.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this !! Ottawa might be trying to homogenise Christmas with political correctness but you can't stop human nature no matter how many laws those spineless politicians try and ram down our throats. Thank you Wanda for continuing a little Ottawa Christmas tradition ! @Inna , vulgar ? They are dolls and if you have kids they probably already did the same thing with their dolls when you weren't looking , lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Inna: well, it depends on one's tastes.

    @Jack: I certainly think so.

    @Sam: that wouldn't surprise me.

    @Barbara: I thought so too.

    @Linda: but funny!

    ReplyDelete