Thursday, March 2, 2017

Black, White, Grey, Steel, And A Tolkienish Work Of Art

It occurred to me after the fact that my final photo from yesterday could drive one crazy if turned into a two thousand piece jigsaw puzzle.

Ottawa City Hall has a couple of art galleries. The first is temporary extra space for the Ottawa Art Gallery while expansion work at Arts Court continues. The second, the Karsh-Masson Gallery, has a rotating schedule for artists to present their works. In December and January, the space was given over to two artists, Anna Frlan and Gail Bourgeois, to display their work. I thought of this particular sculpture by Ms. Frlan for the theme day yesterday, but quickly found so many different angles for it that I decided to present it by itself. It is called Renewal; the listings of the various installations of this exhibit, though rather sparse on detail, included three words for this one- deactivated land mines. Whether or not that includes actual former weaponry is a question, but the artist works with steel in her sculptures. The result is formidable- like a Nazgul out of Tolkien's Middle Earth or a tornado depending on how you look at it. Have a look at Marleen's post from yesterday for another sculpture that reminded me of this.

30 comments:

  1. That IS an arresting sculpture - I see what you mean. Though it also looks a little like a badly burned tree. Maybe that's the point - renewal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is indeed a remarkable resemblance, William. Isn´t that a coincidence! Having a closer look at this one it seems to have thousands of steel leaves, and makes me wonder what it would look like if the artist had used Fall colours...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a very heavy, perhaps oppressive?, work of art.

    Janis
    GDP

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would have also been a good choice. Though it's a bit gloomy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. neat-O! i was thinking puzzle pieces, but then leaves ... then got a closer enlarged look ... so cool!! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very interesting sculpture and a sad statement for countries that gave to deal with active land mines. So destructive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of a rotating schedule. Much must be in storage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has a bit of an intimidating feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know what to say ... it's massive, dark and brooding! Scary even!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Mike: I can see a scorched tree in it too.

    @Marleen: that would have been quite different.

    @Marianne: yes, the sculpture from Marleen's page really evoked this as well.

    @Janis: oppressive is a good term for it.

    @Halcyon: it does have that effect.

    @Beth: thanks!

    @Pamela: true.

    @Cloudia: I think so.

    @Jennifer: it does give the artists some exposure, and I like stopping in every once in awhile to see what's new.

    @Sharon: it certainly does.

    @Nancy: I agree.

    @Lowell: it is!

    ReplyDelete
  11. reminds me of some type of mushroom.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  12. It gives me a strong sense of foreboding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It has a feeling of evil about it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is it steel from the Mines of Moria? It looks like that ;) The sculpture scares me, to be honest. Maybe it's because you mentioned Nazguls...

    ReplyDelete
  15. @MB: it really caught my attention.

    @Dora: I hadn't thought of that!

    @Catalyst: it certainly does.

    @Linda: it has that feel.

    @RedPat: I think so. It's certainly bringing out strong reactions.

    @Klara: it wouldn't be out of place in the Mines! It did certainly evoke Tolkien the first time I saw it, but looking at it again, I also find myself thinking of the Dementors from the Harry Potter books.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yikes! That would be a pretty creepy thing for security guards to bump into late at night.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very detailed. Would I take a long look at this one? I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is very interesting art work. I like it a lot. Would have been fascinating to see it created.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm going to be the kill joy. Like so many of the modern sculptures it says nothing to me. I don't even consider it art.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think you nailed it: Nazgul!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Formidable is the right word. BTW, you were a bit harsh with that spammer but it made me chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my gosh when you enlarge the images this really is a complex and amazing sculpture William.. it also made me think a little of my black swans today 😊

    ReplyDelete
  23. So that's why it looks familiar!

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Revrunner: as this room has but one entrance, it's easy enough for them to lock it up at night and avoid bumping into it!

    @Red: I really liked it.

    @Denise: I agree with that.

    @Mari: different folks, different tastes.

    @Kay: very much so!

    @Linda: oh, I love going after spammers.

    @Grace: I can see that!

    @Whisk: so do I.

    @Norma: indeed!

    ReplyDelete