Thursday, March 30, 2017

Odds And Ends In The City

A few mixed shots today. This first one is taken downtown, and I took it both for the structure over the parking lot and the building behind it. The structure is part of the ongoing work on the LRT project that will dramatically expand the O-Train network. The expansion is due to be open next year, and a tunnel has been carved beneath the core. This framework seems to be for lowering or raising things up out of the tunnel below, and it's taken up a substantial portion of this lot for some years. The building behind it is the C.D. Howe Building, a government complex named for a cabinet minister in Mackenzie King's day. It's been featured regularly in the Doors Open weekend- the rooftop garden is usually only accessible to the government workers in the building, and is pretty much locked up over the winter.


I passed by a house in Centretown one day, and the staircase caught my eye. These heavy burlap rugs are a common sight on outside staircases here over the winter, giving traction as you enter or leave, a handy thing on what might otherwise be a slippery staircase. The stonework of the foundation around the stairs also caught my eye.


This sign was in the Glebe, outside a restaurant.


And this timely message was at a church in the Glebe. I don't think I've ever photographed this church in full from the outside.


This guy was in a store window down the street, a store that sells glasses.


This final sign is further down the street, outside a bike shop. It was switched for the last shot.

34 comments:

  1. Awesome tour, William, I really enjoyed this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A billboard says : Never ask the barber if you need a haircut.
    We says :
    Because we know the answer : he's going to say yes.

    Tomás.

    ReplyDelete
  3. saying like these always make me think, laugh and really smile ... some folks just have amazing creative minds. or too much time on their hands? LOL! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and the folks at St Giles know all about Don the Con.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The CD Howe building would be excellent for reflections ☺ the signs made me smile William ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Linda: thank you!

    @Tomas: they would!

    @Francesco: thanks!

    @Beth: indeed!

    @Tom: I would say so.

    @Grace: me too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i loved the walk around town and the signs...spring my ass lol...too funny...interesting about the rugs on the outside steps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea to have the rugs on the steps to prevent slipping and falls. Some very interesting signs and some deserves a smile. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the idea of a rug on stairs so one does not slip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now the guy at McCrank's cycle really has a sense of humor. He also has my sense of color! Wild yellow and green. It catches your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like some of the sentiments in some of these signs. Good finds!

    PS: Are you following Canada Reads? I think 15 Dogs is going to win.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Tanya: spring is quite slow this year!

    @Janis: a pleasure to do so.

    @Nancy: those wood steps can be quite slippery in the winter. This works quite well. I've installed these rugs in the fall and taken them off in the spring at a place I used to live at.

    @Carolann: they do serve a good purpose.

    @Red: that sign changes quite frequently. Sometimes it's a quote.

    @Halcyon: I haven't been following that, actually! I should.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Americans need to heed that church sign. Our current leader (and I'm using that term rather loosely) is an outright liar.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sharon is correct in her assessment of Trump. i prefer to concentrate on the top photo that shows a very good reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Someone at the bike shop has a good sense of humor. Funny signs. I'm surprised that large piece of machinery has been allowed to block part of that surface parking lot for years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoyed your photo tour! Love the signs at bike shop :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have enjoyed reading the signs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing these very nice photos of your city. I especially enjoyed the bike sign and its message; as well as the message of the Presbyterian church.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Spring! As we wait for more snow?!?

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Sharon: that is a vast understatement, calling him a liar!

    @Kate: the reflection of the Howe Building has always stood out to me.

    @SRQ: I imagine the lot's city owned. It's really the only location in the city core along where the line will be that they can drop equipment down into the work site, so it is required. Every once in awhile passing there, you can see that this structure is in use.

    @Tamago: thank you!

    @Marleen: I like the humour.

    @Lowell: sometimes that sign is used for notifying for events, but other times they put on a passage of scripture or a quote. I've seen Gandhi quoted on there, which is rather forward thinking.

    @RedPat: yes, we have snow in the forecast here, starting sometime in the evening!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The boulders in the concrete is something you see a lot of in Pasadena, California. Fun to see on your blog. Wonderful collection of signs.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stairs looks funny :) and cycles sign so positive.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The signs are funny. I like that first shot, it has an awesome reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great pictures of life and laughter in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loved that first photograph. What a fun stroll through your city.

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Lauren: here it would have been a convenient way to deal with the rocks left behind by glaciers.

    @Klara: thanks!

    @Bill: me too.

    @Catalyst: thank you.

    @Mari: it's fun to show.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think that sign from St. Giles should be put as a warning before the broadcast of anything from the White House.

    ReplyDelete
  28. And an interesting mixed bag it is, William!

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Kay: pretty much.

    @Orvokki: thank you.

    @Cloudia: I do too.

    @Norma: thanks!

    @Jennifer: they are!

    ReplyDelete