Friday, November 25, 2022

The Revolution

 The years after the end of the French and Indian War would set the stage for the American Revolution in North America. What would come of it would, in the long run, be two countries: the United States and Canada. This is the uniform of a Loyalist soldier from New York who sided with the British. Following the Revolution, many Loyalists would start a new life in Canada.


Some artifacts of the time are displayed in a case here.


This reproduction of an engraving is one of history's ironies. Early in the war the Continental Army had sent troops into Quebec in an attempt to capture Quebec City. The effort failed. One of the commanders was Benedict Arnold- yes, that one. Had he died of his wounds at the subsequent Battle of Saratoga, he'd be remembered today as one of the great heroes of American history, instead of as a traitor to the cause.


The weapons in this case date from both the Revolution and the War of 1812, in which the Americans took on the British and Canadian settlers in an attempt to drive the British out of North America once and for all.


This is a model of the H.M.S. St. Lawrence, a ship of the British navy at the time. Today it rests at the bottom of the harbour at Kingston, Ontario.


Items in this case include things like a musket, club, tomahawk, and replica wampum belt. The portrait is of John Norton, who led First Nations warriors in the defense of Queenston Heights during the War.

40 comments:

  1. I hope no more wars and all current wars to end. People suffer because of war.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great exhibit, I love the model of the ship! Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...a time in history that is viewed differently on both side of the border.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No offense.. here garbo-men wear orange (the ones who collect the rubbish).
    But then... The Braunschweig Lions (American Football team) once wore the color, too.
    I like the ship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating history. I didn’t learn this in school. I hope it is taught today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One branch of my forebears was very loyalist and come to eastern Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know there was a ship under Kingston harbour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those "red-coat" uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite the display ~ historically ~ Red Coat never made sense to me ~ can see it a mile away ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days ~
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it took the 19th century to start figuring out you shouldn't make yourself that obvious.

      Delete
  10. Lots of information to read on the displays, a good history lesson for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know more about the America discovery and history then about Canada. I think that's because all these Wild West stories or did you also have a Calamity Jane ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More peace order and good government than wild wild west.

      Delete
  12. I especially like the last three showcases.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The uniform is very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Benedict Arnold is someone I do not know much about. I am now reading about him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never understood the beautiful uniforms how could you fight in something that red ?
    Wonderful photo of the Fall colors !
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helped that the muskets were a lot less accurate.

      Delete
  16. Having grown up back East, I am familiar with these times. I remember marveling at the great distances, which I knew personally that the continentals and the British troops covered in their battles. I would not want to march from New York to Philadelphia.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They do such a lovely job there.

    ReplyDelete