Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Diversity In Canadian Artistic Expressions

We start today with Tuilik (Woman's Parka) Panel, by Attatsiaq, an Inuit woman who made this marvelous work between 1926-37.


Woman's Dress is by Rose Runner of the Tsuut'ina people in Alberta, done circa 1927.


Marian Dale Scott painted Harbour around 1939.


Paraskeva Clark immigrated from the Soviet Union to Canada, where she became an artist. This is Leningrad Memories: Public Bath, dating to 1965.


Myself is a 1933 self-portrait by Clark, one that I'm well familiar with, as it's part of the Gallery's permanent collection. I like the warmth of her expression.


Self Portrait With Concert Program is by Clark, dating to 1942.


Finishing off today, this is Silver Mine, Cobalt, a 1930 painting by Yvonne McKague Housser.

50 comments:

  1. Great to see crafts like clothes-making being exhibited as art. I very much like the silver mine painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some fine paintings here. Harbour would be my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first pictures remind me the Hippie times, where these kind of patterns and fabric was very much in fashion !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't make a choice today, they are all great paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The garments are incredible. The Leningrad Memories Public Baths painting reminds me of the showers I used at the Glastonbury festival.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is the women's Tuilik Panel made out of beadwork? It is a really beautiful, intricate piece of work?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,
    The clothes are beautiful, great paintings and exhibit. Take care, have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great selection for us to admire, William.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...I love the beautiful beadwork.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great, enjoyable art again, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some great paintings here. That Harbour painting fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful exhibit of diversity of art ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Se ven trajes muy típicos, de una determinada zona.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful art shown in this wonderful exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the people who make the clothing are especially clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now this sort of thing is valued and respected. Back in the day it was appropriated.

      Delete
  16. Beautiful art and I love the native dress.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the Inuit art. Very much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like Clark's portrait as well. She looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete