Thursday, April 20, 2023

Gestures

Today I begin with two paintings by the same artist. Self Portrait is by Lilias Torrance Newton, and dates around 1929.

She also painted Portrait Of Frances Loring around 1942.


"Gesture" And Elizabeth is a 1936 painting by Gordon Davies.


Elizabeth Wyn Wood is the Elizabeth in question, and here, beside that painting, is her sculpture, Gesture, with the concept dating to 1927 but this sculpture actually carved in 1967.


Around mid-century, the artistic works of indigenous artists across the country started to be appreciated on their own merits, and a number of them are displayed here. Pair Of Incised Walrus Tusks is by Annugakuluk Kelly, dating to 1979.


I mentioned Dancing Bear, permanently on display in the Byward Market courtyards, before I started this series. This is Standing Bear, a 1962 sculpture by the same artist, Pauta Saila.


A view into the next space.


Artist And Shaman Between Two Worlds is a 1980 painting by Norval Morrisseau, one of the country's greatest First Nations artists, rich with the influence of his Anishinaabe culture.


Hound In Field is a 1958 painting by Alex Colville.


And I close today with another work by Colville: To Prince Edward Island is from 1965.

Tomorrow I take you to check out some world art.

44 comments:

  1. That Gesture sculpture is very contemporary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Norval Morrisseau work is my favorite here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The self portraits look special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...Artist And Shaman Between Two Worlds grabs your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this ongoing tour of the National Gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great works again. I can´t pick a favorite... Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,
    Great exhibit. I love the Dancing Bear. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Gesture' and thje portrait of its creator is my favorite in this wonderful serie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are great portraits and I LOVE the First Nations painting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely variety of creative works ~ love the painting of the dog and the indigenous art works ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of beautiful art, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the self portraits, very realistic, it's a vintage way of doing a selfie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That last one by Colville struck me as funny.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the three portraits at the beginning of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these portraits -- and the Morrisseau. It's more modern than I like yet I find the colors so vibrant and energetic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The portraits are incredible. I do also like Hound In Field, as well as Between Two Worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 'Artist and Shaman....' is wonderful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The portraits are wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. All such beautiful artwork, paintings and sculptures and that hound is adorable!

    ReplyDelete